Arbor press help

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sshire

Reaction score
I've been using a small Harbor Freight arbor press to press bushings, shafts, etc.
On occasion, it just isn't tall enough. Even removing the anvil sometimes isn't enough.
I'll probably get a larger one from Enco with free shipping.
A few questions before I decide what to get.
1. I don't see a need for broaching but as soon as I say that, I'm sure something will come up that requires it. What size would I need for broaching.
2. Is there a significant advantage to a ratcheted arm?
3. Not that I'm going to spend that much money, but why are the Dake presses so expensive?
Do they press better or are they just made beefier for industrial use?
Any and all suggestions would be helpful

Thanks
Stan

Gettin pressed about getting an arbor press? Well as far as broaching goes, that all depends on the throat size of the press vs. the length of broach, broach horn, and part being broached. So think of the largest thing you would possibly broach, look up the broach sizes (key seat cutting I think they call it) in the Machinery hand book, and that will give you the info you would need on length of the broach and yada yada ya. As far as tonnage, just about any press will do, just depends on how you shim(thick or thin cuts per pass) to get your broach to get to the necessary keyway depth. When it comes to ratcheting or not, one word....RATCHET! The ratchet gives you the ability reset the handle to the top while the press ram does not move, that way you dont have to use pressing bars to press all the way through. Less work in my opionion is best! Other than that, if it looks flimsy, it probally is! Hope this helps!

What size for broaching ? well what size broach do you intend to use ? I can push a 1/16" broach quite easily to form a keyway in a 1/4" hole simply by using my bench drill.
A press with plenty of throat clearance is probably most useful but not for all jobs , this is why they are made in various sizes.
I think an arbor press is useful if you have one but not an essential , like all tools the price is reflected in the quality but can you justify spending money on a high quality tool that will see very little use ?

Back