Apprentice toolbox

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought an old Gerstner from a place that handled transitions from independent living to nursing homes. Had to drive a couple hours to NC to get it but for $350 it was worth every penny.

I never got to meet the man that owned it but from what I understood he really wasn't all there anymore.

From what I could tell he was a tool and die maker for decades.

This gentleman had grown kids who had no interest in the tools.

The gerstner was a christmas present in 1961 since the machinerys handbook has an inscription and a date in it with his name on it.

It had a home made bottom box and was loaded with tools. (like $3500 of retail value from enco in mititoyu and starrett, and end mills, ball mills, etc loaded)

I love the fact that they built things and have heritage.

It saddens me to see the ability and skills to build things in this country go away as our machinists retire and the work shifts overseas. I hope to learn some of this as a hobbyist and maybe get my kids some knowledge and respect for the trades.

I'd be proud to pass the tools down to them one day.

Sic Semper Tyrannis said:
I'd be proud to pass the tools down to them one day.
you can pass them on to me if you like ;D
Swifty said:
As a first year apprentice I could not afford to buy a toolbox, so I made one along the lines of a Gerstner, lots of small drawers and a lift up lid. Used ply for most parts with sheet metal "shelves" that the drawers run on. It served me well for the last 40+ years, although I now have another shop bought one.
Any chance you could post some pics? id love to see it, that goes for you too Hugh

Mosey, thanks for sharing your story.

I have a few journeyman/apprentice projects like tap and die holders, trammels, etc, beautifully made and stamped with the maker's name, probably 80+ years old, and every time I use them, I think of the guys who made them.

Im thinking i might have a go at making something along the lines of a kennedy 520 or 526. would anybody mind taking some rather detailed measurements of one? ill probably draw up something so you could just fill in the dimensions, its a lot to ask but it could be a cool project despite not having any sheet metal experience.

Does any one have any preference between the two, or any short falls that could be changed like depth of draws etc? If i can get get enough measurements/time Ill draw it up in solid works and post the plans.

Feisty, here is a pic of the toolbox that I made when I first started work. Only had hand tools at home at the time and not a great deal of experience making this sort of thing, but it has served me well all my working life.

Paul.

IMG_2269.jpg

you may want to look at the import wooden ones some are worth bringing home some are not depends how much garbage board is used and how much solid wood. and brand names do not seem to matter. I have seen good and bad from the same sellers.

I just purchased one of the HFT boxes

image_11844.jpg

Tin

Tin, that chest looks decently well made. Where did you find it? Thanks.

Yep see the product review in this tool section
only $80 us $60 if you have a coupon

Tin

Tin Falcon said:
Yep see the product review in this tool section
only $80 us $60 if you have a coupon

Tin

For anyone wanting to order the HFT the coupon code is "81075524".
Alan

I have been thinking about adding another box to accompany my fathers Craftsman machinist box. You would think I have enough tool storage... A Mac roll away with a Snap-On road chest in the garage... In the shop there is a General Tools three piece set, the Craftsman machinist box, various tote along boxes, under bench storage, and shelves, etc...

Then I see the shop built chests which reminded me of the box I built to haul my RC racing buggy. So I dug it out and dusted it off. It is made primarily from 3/8" and 1/4" ply with quarter shoe in the drawer corners.

Guess what? The buggy is going in a crate.
Alan

100_0960b.jpg

100_0968b.jpg

I have one of these and my son uses it as a model building box.

It is actually quite nice for the price. I am sure it is particle board with veneer as it feels abnormally dense for what it is.

I picked up an old Gerstner last year and the difference is not that huge in appearance, but when you really look at it it is a much nicer box. Of course new it is 10 times the expense.

I have never seen a gerstner international, their overseas built version, but it isn't cheap either.

miner49r said:
I have been thinking about adding another box to accompany my fathers Craftsman machinist box. You would think I have enough tool storage... A Mac roll away with a Snap-On road chest in the garage... In the shop there is a General Tools three piece set, the Craftsman machinist box, various tote along boxes, under bench storage, and shelves, etc...

Then I see the shop built chests which reminded me of the box I built to haul my RC racing buggy. So I dug it out and dusted it off. It is made primarily from 3/8" and 1/4" ply with quarter shoe in the drawer corners.

Guess what? The buggy is going in a crate.
Alan

WOW!!!
I have not seen an Associated RC10 for many moons!!!!! ;D
Great racers they were!

Andrew

lazylathe said:
WOW!!!
I have not seen an Associated RC10 for many moons!!!!! ;D
Great racers they were!

Andrew

+1 I finally realized I wasn't ever going to race mine again and sold it on the bay last year :-[

miner49r, thanks for the coupon code. A karma point to you, sir.

Oredered one, even though it's on backorder. For less than 70 bucks shipped to my door, it was too tempting to pass up.

That HF cabinet is appealing for the price.
I couldn't stand it any longer without a place next to the mill for little stuff, so I built a little wooden drawer unit on top of my nasty old metal unit. It took a couple of days, cost next to nothing, and now will hold the little stuff you need all of the time chucks, edge finders, etc.).

IMG_0210.jpg

IMG_0206.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

IMG_0207.jpg

Out of a couple dozen tool boxes, I have one of the HF wood jobs, and another similar but slightly larger. That said, I like the Kennedy boxes for small tools better. Still don't have enough space, so the plan is to go with a 12 or 14 drawer one this summer. Will not be building a covered till, just drawers, like an intermediate box but about 18-20 inches high, flat top. Got some cherry and black walnut put aside.

Here's one I just finished for my son; not a true machinist chest, but for holding his precision tools:

Martybox1.jpg

Martybox2.jpg

Martybox3.jpg

Latest posts

Back