Anyone have a piping/porting diagram ?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zakman

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've been building a new steam engine and its ready to be piped up. Its a double acting oscillating engine with a V twin configuration, the last one I made was the same but horizontal, and that's my problem, with the horizontal each cylinder operates opposite to the other (kind of) but with a V twin both are rotating in the same direction on the crank.

So I sat for ages drawing it out again and again but it never seems right, it always seems to be out of sync. I'm sure the 4 ports on each cylinder need to be paired sides to side, but how they connect to the other cylinder is a puzzle.

I'm hoping someone here has a drawing or can do a simple sketch of how the ports and piping go together ? or know where I can find one ?

quick edit.....I should probably say this is a steam engine :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I've been sitting thinking about this, I'm pretty sure I have it now, no other combination looks like it will work, so here's what I'm going with. Unless anyone can see a problem ?

Scan.jpg

Thanks Ved, some nice work there, but what I need to know is how the ports should link to each other for a double acting twin cylinder oscillator when its a V twin. I think my diagram is right but would like some confirmation. If I get it wrong they will work against each other.

The pipes will run straight from the cylinders to a manifold, the manifold will be 2 chambers.

Thank you guys for the help, got round to finishing the little engine today, the frame might get painted but I sort of like the raw metal look, after all, it is a steam Harley :D It's 5" wide and has a 7/16 bore and it runs very nicely in both directions, also self starting. The inlet and exhaust pipes are temp to run on air, I'm going to make a reversing valve with oiler so the pipework will change slightly.

IMGP3187.jpg

IMGP3190.jpg

Latest posts

Back