Any Hunters Here?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rake60

Reaction score
With the Pennsylvania whitetail deer season approaching, my oldest boy and I
went small game hunting in the State Game Lands near here to scope out the
deer situation Saturday.

We didn't see any small game to scare but we did see some tracks.

BearTrack.jpg

Those are bear tracks.
Saturday was the opening day of bear season here but we were carrying small game
guns. We never did catch up to that bear but we did see a nice whitetail buck.

We also saw a whole bunch of coyote tracks. Coyotes packs are not good for the deer
herds but that is a whole different hunting story...

Rick

Fair lump of a b'ar too, if I'm judging the pic right? Pity we don't have 'em over here!

That be a Black bear there Tel....You already got dropbears... ;D

Good size track there Rick. My Mechanic house is a 1/2 mile from me, and he showed some pictures of a 350 pound or so male eating the wild blueberries in his back yard.....Yeash!

The coyotes rome in packs here too...though not too close to the houses generally.

They're fair game with the T2009 though. ;D

Dave

Black bears won't hurt you, normally....

Coyotes on the other hand, can be a hazard.

I have seen trails in the snow where deer had been drug out of the woods
with coyote tracks following the path out.

One coyote isn't dangerous. A pack of them following a deer hunter IS a hazard!

Two years ago a coyote jumped out in front of us on a tram road in the woods
while we were deer hunting. My son threw his rifle up and I pushed it away.
Then I found out just how many of them there were there.
Last day of the deer season we had a good fresh snowfall.
It looked like a dog pound there.

We don't need that!

Rick

when my young great Pyrenees was around 10 months old I asked my vet if he thought the dog could handle a coyote, vet said yea one...but... coyotes don't fight fair, the come in packs. the dog is now around 8 years and 132 lbs and does not go out looking for a fight. I have never been able to get the sights on a coyote but the woods here that I live in is full of them. I some times worry a little going out alone in the woods in my old age and not being as agile as I once was. john

years ago i shot a coyote in my parents back yard, i think he was looking to have moms dog for lunch.
he was all alone but still a nasty little bugger.

let us know how the deer hunting goes rick.

chuck

Was in Pennsylvania this weekend and saw them everywhere, in the road that is. But that's the same here in North Carolina too. Bear and coyote here also, but think I'll leave them be, hope they'll kill of some of the fawns before they get big.

Every country seems to have its own selection of animals that want to harm people. We are having a bad run with sharks at the moment. I think I would rather have the snakes than bears and coyotes. Wild pigs can be a bit aggressive if you startle them. I never carry a gun though as it is a bit harder to get a license in Australia. How big is that bear print Rick, what size bear do you reckon it would be? Our bears aren't real scary but can make you quite sick. A mate of mine got koala urine on his hands when collecting firewood and got real sick for 6 weeks. They look real innocent too.
Brock

Latest posts

Back