Another wannabe machinist checking in

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

substandard

Reaction score
Just wanted to say hi from the middle of no where USA. Just found this forum and it is a wealth of information, not to mention the talent of the members.

I am just a "trial and error" heavy on the error self-taught machinist. Have a small 11'x15' shed with a 1960's model South Bend 9A lathe and a Grizzly 8x32 mill. Plus an ever growing assortment of necessary tooling, and Basset Hound that does all my QC work for me.

I started trying to make Elmer's Tiny as my first engine, but the small scale used up my entire supply of patience and cuss words. So I am now getting ready to build Jan Ridder's Stirling Bobber. Spent this evening going thru and ordering the various items I will need to get started.

I will start a thread in the Works In Progress forum once I get started. For those that like quality precision machining and professional photography...you will be very sadly disappointed. For those that find amusement in the folly of others and like to stare at blurry photos trying to determine if it is a cylinder head or a shot of Big Foot, than that thread will be just the ticket. ::)

Sub,
Welcome to HMEM. I'm sure you'll do just fine. As you read some of the build logs you will find that we also share the mistakes along the way. We all make them, you won't be alone ;D

Welcome to HMEM substandard.

Your choices for first builds might be a bit ambitious.
We all have start somewhere. You might consider a wobbler
for a first build. Whatever direction you decide to go, this group
will be happy to answer any questions you have along the way.

Rick

Hello and Welcome, substandard. While many of the individuals here ARE super talented, don't be intimidated, they are friendly and eager to help. From your post, it seems you have a good humor about things. Keep trying and asking questions, things will start working for you. Then you'll be hooked! Enjoy.

DB

substandard said:
I will start a thread in the Works In Progress forum once I get started. For those that like quality precision machining and professional photography...you will be very sadly disappointed. For those that find amusement in the folly of others and like to stare at blurry photos trying to determine if it is a cylinder head or a shot of Big Foot, than that thread will be just the ticket. ::)

So I wont be alone then :) Good to have company in the mud wallow

substandard,

Welcome to our forum.
icon_welcome.gif

substandard is the pinnacle of marine engineering, (especially the nuke boats).
mgeye-popping.gif

Ricks advise is good advise.

Best Regards
Bob

substandard,

Welcome. If you decide to give Elmer's Tiny another go, feel free to ask any questions.

welcome to the board. keep at it . I stated three engines before finishing one then went back and finished the others later. I still have several around here started.
Tin

Latest posts

Back