Another Pioneer

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a41capt

Reaction score
I decided to build Rudy’s Pioneer and started up with the materials at hand. Since I had a piece of nice DOM seamless tubing, I thought I’d start with that, even though it’s 1 1/4” ID instead of the plan callout of 1 1/8” ID. I heat shrunk and pressed an aluminum sleeve for the cooling fins, and dug out whatever scrap aluminum I had for the other components. A local scrap yard sells mill ends so I visited there (my new best buddy when he found out what my hobby was!) and picked up some additional aluminum and cast iron.

Anyway, here’s where I am right now, still got lots of machining to do, I think I’ll run it on propane and add a cylinder oiler rather than the usual two-stroke mix, and change the piston configuration by adding a couple cast iron rings.

BBE5B3DB-5446-4B24-AF88-272800376D1F.jpegB4607713-59B1-46BA-B2F2-468A8B846715.jpeg

I have a question for anyone that has built Rudy’s Pioneer. Is there any reason why I can’t center the spark plug in the head rather than in the intake manifold as he has drawn it?

It seems to me that makes more sense!

John W

Latest posts

Back