Another Oops

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vlmarshall

Reaction score

Ok, I'll post another of mine here... So, I've just gotten my new Sherline lathe converted to CNC, running well, and cutting threads.
However, a few days ago, I thought I'd try running the sample turning program that came with Linux EMC. I might have gotten away with it, if I'd had a narrow profiling tool, instead of the righthander I tried to force through a lump of brass... but the roughing passes were really just too much.

A little excitement and lathe abuse ensues.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDOWhg4R8a0[/ame]

Hi Vern, after watching you demo.. I think I will keep mine on Manual..Yours has too much of ''I ROBOT'' for my taste ;) ;D
All the best for now,
John.

Hi Vern
Yeah gotta admit it takes a hell of a depth of cut though lol
thanks for showing fella.
I can see your gonna have a lot of fun with this baby.

Ken

"I, ROBOT", Ha, I like that. ;D

Yeah, I'm gonna have fun with this... after I grind more tools, and write my OWN programs. It was late, I'd just gotten the lathe running, I HAD to cut something. ;D

I always enjoy seeing videos of the business end of the tool when turning or milling. Helps me understand more about speeds/feeds and the proper tool. Even 'oopsies' are helpful.

What? Did you think I'd take the first opportunity? I'm planning. We've talked about that before. ;D

Vernon,
Great video. I've done the same thing without benefit of a computer :(

But I have to ask - was this video "Take #1"? ;)

Cheers,
Phil

if you want to see some nasty CNC crashes, you tube has a few ones on!

having been caught out at work a few times, they always make me cringe!

Wow, Zeep, you answered my out-loud comments as I clicked this thread. ;D

Yes, this was take one! Like the threading video, I hit the Big Green Button, and pointed a camera...although this video was a lot shakier, as I kept fighting feeds and speeds to kill chatter and have a reasonable chipload.

Yeah, I've seen some of those YouTube crashes... ugh. ;D

Well Vernon, it may be putting on a bit too much cut, and the trailing edge of the cutter is biting quite a bit too, but it says something about these smaller machines and specifically about the Sherline chuck. Some chucks would have just spit out that work piece.

It looks like it will work very well with slightly more modest cuts and a more suitably shaped cutter.

Good video. I was kind of afraid something really ugly was going to happen. Bad enough, but everything stayed where you put it!

Dean

I don't see a problem there Vernon.

Nothing broke and the spindle didn't stall.
I'd call it a stress test. ;)

I don't know if the machine or a biological sphincter muscle
may have been the most stressed.

Care to comment on that ratio? :D

Rick

rake60 said:
I don't see a problem there Vernon.
Nothing broke and the spindle didn't stall.
I'd call it a stress test. ;)
I don't know if the machine or a biological sphincter muscle
may have been the most stressed.
Care to comment on that ratio? :D
Rick

Hmmm.... good question.

On one hand, I've become pretty jaded to heavily- and over-loaded machines and the occasional mishap over the years.

On the other hand, this is MY heavily-loaded machine and I'd rather not break it yet.

I guess, "half man and half machine" is a safe answer, and sounds cool, too. :D

That looks like a good stress test like Rake said.
I am glad I never filmed any of my crashes like on the mill when I took a .400 cut into a hold down clamp I didnt realize was going to be in the way.
I am impressed that the Chuck held the piece with what looks like a .125 or better cut.
I only cut UHMW better than .125 on my lathe and the trusty Sherline held up with brass, I am sold.
-B-

That wasn't so bad but may have been a good learning experience. I've seen the aftermath of when tooling rapids into a chuck at 1500 RPM. Back then the computer didn't know any better, maybe the newer CNC's do now. You could hear the crash across the shop floor.

Latest posts

Back