Another New Toy

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
steamer said:
What was that....25 yards?

Dave

Not with a 2-1/2" barrel. That was a 50 foot target.

I do have more accurate handguns.

HandGuns.jpg

The 22/22 Magnum revolver will stay on the paper at 25 yards.
17 HMR target pistol is good for about 50 yards.

The Crosman .177 Pump Air Pistol is a lot of fun!
We set a yellow foam practice golf balls on tees in the back yard and plink for hours.
(If you hit the tee, you meant to do that! ::))

Rick

Nice collection Rick! i just love the little air pistols. Here's my .177 Crossman Python replica:

Python.jpg

Only accurate to 25-30 ft, but it's a blast for killing feral beer cans in the back yard. ::) Rof}

Cheers

Jeff

There have been some changes made to this new toy since I first posted this thread.

The original grips on this handgun were Pachmayr style rubber.

BullDogPug.jpg

BORING! :rolleyes:

I ordered a set of rosewood grips with a 5 week delivery time.
I got impatient ab bought these unfinished walnut grips.

UnfinishedWalnutGrips.jpg

After 6 coats of Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil they look like this.

WalnutGrips.jpg

6 more coats and they'll be done.

AND THEN, the rosewood grips arrive.

RosewoodGrips.jpg

I may never finish that walnut! ;)

Rick

Rick

Shame about those beautifull walnut grips. Bet they would look real nice on Mrs. Rakes new Charter Arms Bulldog, 44 Special revolver.

Just trying to keep harmony in the household!

I'll go :hDe: now

Cheers :)

Don

Rick

Shame about those beautifull walnut grips. Bet they would look real nice on Mrs. Rakes new Charter Arms Bulldog, 44 Special revolver.

Just trying to keep harmony in the household!

I'll go :hDe: now

Don

Mrs. Rake is a very patient and understanding woman when it comes to my hobby ventures.

For instance, now that I have a big bore handgun I needed a very small bore rifle to go with it.
To me it is perfectly logical! *******

I wrote a note to the guy who runs the gun shop where my wife works asking about a new
Savage 93R17-BTVS, .17HMR, stainless steel barrel, laminate thumbhole stock.

If you have a rifle with that kind of a reputation for accuracy, you need a good scope, like a 3-9X50MM.
You also need a stable means of holding it, like a Harris 6"-9" bipod.

With everything put together, I ended up with this:

HarrisBipodOpen.jpg

My wife even talked the gun shop man into selling the Harris bipod to me at their cost.
I think I'll keep this wife! ;)

Rick

Last weekend I had the opportunity to take my new 17HMR rifle out to the range.
After a bit of dialing in on the scope, it does very well!

I am not the kind of marksman who can shoot a flea off of a rats ear at 1000 yards,
but I am happy with this group!

17HMR6Shots.jpg

Six shots on target from 50 yards that can be covered with a quarter.

Then it was plinking time.
Golf balls at 50 yards. 20 shots 19 hits. (Not all at the same golf ball)

17HMRGolfBall.jpg

I'm liking this new toy!

Rick

Rick

Another 6 shots and you should have the center of the group dropped dead on center. If I were a flea I wouldn't feel safe sitting anywhere in that inner circle.

As a teenager I spent 8 weeks in Army Cadets at Camp Borden taking a Rifle Coaching Course and getting paid. We spent all our time learning the fine points of shooting. We fired off a 1000 rounds of 303 ammunition at targets from 50 to 1000 yards. Learning to correct for wind, rain, mirage and a few other things was a lot of fun. The only scope that we had was for spotting, just plain adjustable sights. Hitting the target at 1000 yards was a challenge.

Don

Don,

I did the same small arms training. The difference for me was hitting the target at 10 yards was a challenge, at 1000 yards I'd hit the target of the guy on either side of me.

A Thomson or a 12 gauge are my weapons of choice, point and pull, even if you miss, you scared em to death.

Best Regards
Bob

Bob

I believe that I hit the targets to the sides of me on several occasions. Sometimes you would have to aim at the corners of the target to try and find the center of your group so that you could dial it in.

We had one Sargent that was a real marksman. At the end of the summer we went to the DCRA matches in Ottawa to shoot in competition. Our Sargent was firing in a 1000 yard match and it was raining. After 10 rounds the Sargent and one other competitor had 10 bulls-eyes. Now they would shoot until somebody would miss. It wasn't until the 16th round that the other competitor missed the bulls-eye by an inch and ended the match. That was some incredible shooting. That was the one episode that has stuck with me all these years.

Don

Latest posts

Back