Another Marv Klotz time saver

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedge

Reaction score
I visited Marv's site a few days a go when Mel posted Marv's miniature rotary table. (thanks Mel) While there I noticed a small tool he'd built for rounding ends of connecting rods and such.

I'm still beating on the Elbow engine and the design I'm using required milling a curved concave edge cut into the rear brace. I took about an hour and built a similar tool and gave it a try. Marv is either a genius or a mad man, but whichever he is, he surely hauled my bacon out of the fire with his idea.

A job that would have typically required a rotary table, something I have not used yet, to cut the edge that I wanted. It did it in less than twenty minuted from set up to teardown. His images show it using a rotary file, but it didn't take long to learn that it works with a ball end cutter as well as a roughing mill.

It can be a bit tricky considering that you are potentially working in close and personal to the end mill, but with the work stops in place and careful attention to where your hands and fingers are at all times, it's a perfectly useful and handy tool.

His version is located at http://www.schsm.com/html/marv_klotz_38.html . Be sure to click on the arrows so that you get to see all three photos.

Steve

That is a neat little tool to have. I built one after he showed it on the HMS site and have used it several times. Your right about keeping track of all your fingers while using it, but it works great.
Mel

Cedge said:
I visited Marv's site a few days a go when Mel posted Marv's miniature rotary table. (thanks Mel) While there I noticed a small tool he'd built for rounding ends of connecting rods and such.

I'm still beating on the Elbow engine and the design I'm using required milling a curved concave edge cut into the rear brace. I took about an hour and built a similar tool and gave it a try. Marv is either a genius or a mad man, but whichever he is, he surely hauled my bacon out of the fire with his idea.

A job that would have typically required a rotary table, something I have not used yet, to cut the edge that I wanted. It did it in less than twenty minuted from set up to teardown. His images show it using a rotary file, but it didn't take long to learn that it works with a ball end cutter as well as a roughing mill.

It can be a bit tricky considering that you are potentially working in close and personal to the end mill, but with the work stops in place and careful attention to where your hands and fingers are at all times, it's a perfectly useful and handy tool.

His version is located at http://www.schsm.com/html/marv_klotz_38.html . Be sure to click on the arrows so that you get to see all three photos.

Steve

Well, I'm a genius in my own mind but I can say with assurance that my wife (and most of my friends) would agree with the 'madman' description.

I really recommend you stick to rotary files. If there's a slip, you get a nasty brush burn - with an endmill you lose flesh (and bone if you really screw up). The stops are essential, not optional. Besides saving the workpiece, they give you a bit of confidence that the work, and parts of your body, won't get sucked into the tool. And, please, DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT WEARING GLOVES while using this tool. Yes, it's a dangerous tool. I've used it (carefully) for more than ten years without mishap so it can be used safely if you pay attention to what you're doing.

I'm new to this BBS so perhaps someone could tell me in which forum I should introduce myself. I'm more used to the fora where there's a 'general' section although I like the subdivisions here - especially the 'break room' for the OT stuff - the bane of every focused BBS.

Marv, Im glad so see you here, you are a wizzard and your work is amazing.

Please do drop by and chat. We are on topic here and have a well run crew of fun loving folks.

Fun is why we are here, we make stuff because its fun.

Hi Marv
Welcome to the forum... Boy, am I glad I was being nice when I mentioned your name....LOL. An old southern saying states, "Speak of the devil and up he jumps". I've enjoyed a number of visits to your site of late and have become a fan of your work.

Trust me on the rounding tool.... Mr. Vise Grip was between me and the spinning tools, the whole time. I made the rig up so that I could collar lock the work in place as well as using stops to control the arc. No one is going to watch out for my fingers closer than me.... (grin)

The end mills used were small in diameter and a .010 inch advance into the work was considered a heavy cut, so that things didn't get crazy. Its definitely not a tool to get in any hurry with. The potential for injury is real but the results are worth it, when due caution is used.

Good advice on never wearing gloves. I was unlucky enough to see what happens when a glove and spinning machinery try to mate. As the # 3 para-med on duty, I had the queasy job of fetching the quy's hand and icing it for the trip to the ER.

It's nice to see another experienced head join our little group. I hope you'll become a regular.

Steve

A hero's welcome to you Marv.
Your collection of FREE software has got me out of a fix many times.
Your ideals of sharing things is what this site is all about. Help others to help themselves. Your continued input would be most welcome.

John

Welcome Marv

I'm happy you decided to join us!

Rick

Thanks for all the kind words, folks. I'll try to live up to all the compliments you've posted.

I've posted a personal introduction in the 'Welcome' section, as suggested.

Back