Aluminum flywheels

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awJCKDup

Reaction score
I'm building Jan Ridders Bas Sterling (great plans) which uses a brass flywheel, since these engines are low power, could you substitute aluminum for the flywheel and not effect the engines performance?
John

Have not built that sterling but have built two others. What I have found is that because of the low power these type of engines produce you need the mass a brass flywheel gives to get them to cycle.

Thanks gentlemen I appreciate the input. I had also e-mailed Jan and his reply was "You can make the fly wheel from Aluminium I think, less mass and so less inertia than steel or brass but it will work I think in this case." So I will Fiddle with it some more, before making a brass or steel flywheel. These engines sure seem to be touchy.

Thanks again
John

If the aluminum proves to be too light for smooth running, you can always increase the mass by adding some uniformly-spaced brass slugs around the rim of the flywheel, assuming the appearance doesn't put you off.

Latest posts

Back