Aluminium grade

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lensman57

Reaction score
Hi to all,
There is an EBay vendor in the UK who is always advertising off cuts of an Aluminium alloy called "AEH-70 from AMARI", who seem to have a lot of aerospace grade metal on their site.I wonder if anyone knows what this stuff really is as I once e-mailed the vendor with the same question and did not get a reply.

Many Thanks,

A.G

Hi,
Thank you for your pointer, I have been on this site before and when I do a search with aeh 70,
the result is long listing of various 7075 alloy.
I wonder if this alloy is actually 7075 of some temper or other but if so why not just call it by the standard name.

Regards,

A.G

Hi ,They may be quoting the numbers stamped into the bar ends Iv picked some up in the past from scrap yards with that reference number .Just a thought
best wishes Frazer

There's a guy that's been selling "Fortal" aluminum for years on eBay. Fortal is yet another name for a basic 7075-T6 alloy. If it's 7075, it's great stuff.

Checking out his ebay site I looked for a chunck of aluminum with the manufacturers printing still on it. Found one that was marked:

ABM3.1029 ALCAN RHENALU ISSOIRE 7010 T7651

So from this and assuming a lot of things (he gets his offcuts from the same place and they use only the one grade) it appears that this is 7010 T7651 from Alcan made to ABM3.1029 specs (can't find a thing on the ABM3.XXXX specs as to what they mean or who governs them!)

Hope this helps.

Mike

aluminum-block.jpg

Aerospace places sometimes have very specialized alloys. There used to be a giant Boeing Surplus store outside Sea-Tac, and they'd sell slabs and chunks of aluminum cheaply by the pound. I used to load a suitcase 50lbs full every time I went on a business trip that way ;). One day I noticed the chunks were labelled '7055' instead of '7075' like I was expecting, so I went and looked up 7055. 7055 turned out to be an alloy specially designed to be used for 'upper wing structures, horizontal stabilizers and keel beams'.

Worked fine for HMEM uses too :D

bob ward said:
This chart shows the general characteristics of different grades of aluminium. In the real world though (Australia anyway) only 6060 and 6061 grades are normally available, with 2011 sometimes available in rounds.

http://www.actionaluminium.com.au/catalogue/page_3_alloy_uses and_characteristics.pdf

If you can get ahold of some 7075, you'll begin to look at 6061 as a poor second choice. ;) Trivia: Proper 7075-T6 is both harder AND stronger than 1018 mild steel - and machines like a dream.

I think these large slabs of 7075, "Fortal" etc are for the mold industry.

Hi,
I have finally managed to win a slab of 7075 on EBAY,
as yet I have not machined it and I am really saving it for my first model IC engine. For some reason this alloy is like gold dust here in the UK, most of what is available is 6082 T6 or the HE30 variant.

Regards,

A.G

I know I sound like a pitch man for 7075 on this forum, but that's how much I am in love with this material. It has replaced mild steel in 90% of my projects.

Suggestion - the "Fortal" guy on eBay sells assortment packs at a very reasonable cost. You get a big box of very nice rectangular cuts that vary in length but most are 12" or less, PERFECT for our use. One assortment pack will last most guys for years.

It might be worth it in the UK to get a few guys together for a bulk order, and save on shipping.

Seller name scottkrez - I think he has an off-eBay web site as well. Here's a typical "pack."
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360310204322#ht_1619wt_918

Back