Almost done my first

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reefman

Reaction score
Been working on this for the past year when I could get the time. These are the plans I went with http://www.machinistblog.com/free-plans-david-kerzels-hit-miss-engine/ . All I need to do is the ingintion and figure out a buzz coil. I hope I can get it to run. Any comments welcomed

20140910_125750.jpg

20140910_125737.jpg

20140910_125711.jpg

20140910_125650.jpg

Looks like you did a high class job on the machine work.
It will run!!!

Why not try electronic ignition like many of us have? My own Kerzel ignition took me an age to sort but the end design was nice and compact and is based on a combination of HT coil from Jan Ridders Blokker design combined with the HT generator from JMJ's cdi circuit
http://www.ot40.com/cdi_ignition.htm
I did away with the PIC advance part and used a hall effect device via logic gates to trigger the thyristor.
Having said that, it did take a fair time to get a reliable circuit. There are many threads on here with various ignition systems.
If you dont mind a large coil then the simplest is the simple car coil and points/condenser setup.
Nice work! Enjoy your Kerzel!
Rich

For an ignition I wanted something small ive seen the ones made woth the car coils but I think it would be a bit overkill. A electric ignition seems like the way id like to go if you can point me in the right direction. Are they prebuilt or can I go to say radio shack and piece one together

Get in touch with Roy Sholl at S and S Machine and Engineering in Ohio 419-452-6042. He is a reputable dealer and sells good quality ignition products for this type of engine. I have used his products many times, and I endorse them.---Brian

If you are ok with building your own and happy with the old soldering iron then of course you can build your own as I did.
I will dig out the circuit if you like.
The circuit I ended up with runs happy on 4.5v and only delivers a single pulse each time the hall effect switch is triggered. That way the coil doesnt sit roasting like a conventional coil/points system if it stops in the wrong position.

Thanks guys ive really enjoyed making this. Im already pondering my next build. I found a site that sells full prints and the have one of a v twin. After seeing the hoglet I think thats my next one

While seaching the forum looking for ignition info I came on a build for the same engine I believe it was from brian rupnow in there there was a link for mini sparkplugs. While searching the site I found ignitions heres the link for them if I bought it would it work for my engine

While seaching the forum looking for ignition info I came on a build for the same engine I believe it was from brian rupnow in there there was a link for mini sparkplugs. While searching the site I found ignitions heres the link for them if I bought it would it work for my engine
Reefman--Somehow the link isn't showing up in your post.---Brian

Reefman it looks to me that you have the machining aspect down so I think you should stretch your mind and try building your own ingnition System
If you have the money Roy Sholl makes sum nice ones. Maybe think if getting a dual system for your next project. Having said that I bought his buzz one and I like it. It's spark is not as hot as Jan Ridder with a 1uf capacitor. I base this on an observation that I can run my engine in a flooded stay with Home made one not so with store-bought one
Jan has a nice website at Ridders.nu

Jeff

I agree that the Ridder Blokker circuit would probably be the best option although it works on contacts closing rather than opening.
I didn't fancy microswitch and reed switches are quite large so I used a Hall effect to switch but these don't work at the low voltages of the Blokker circuit (1.5v).
Jan has made some improvements
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/showthread.php?t=22933

Rich

I agree that the Ridder Blokker circuit would probably be the best option although it works on contacts closing rather than opening.
I didn't fancy microswitch and reed switches are quite large so I used a Hall effect to switch but these don't work at the low voltages of the Blokker circuit (1.5v).
Jan has made some improvements
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/showthread.php?t=22933

Rich
Thanks for posting the links this looks very simple to make.

Latest posts

Back