All by myself

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodchip85

Reaction score
Well after many years my long time mentor is retiring today (lucky guy)! I'll alway be able to give hime a call when im stuck, but i just dont think it'll be the same.

I'm lucky, mine only lives about 5 mins away and I can call him anytime, and if he is in, he comes around straight away.

I don't need him very much nowadays, but the security of having him available is very confidence boosting when starting something unfamiliar. We usually have a discussion about it first, then it goes ahead. Two heads are always better than one.

Everyone should have one, even the more experienced amongst us.

Bogs

Bogstandard said:
I'm lucky, mine only lives about 5 mins away and I can call him anytime, and if he is in, he comes around straight away.

I don't need him very much nowadays, but the security of having him available is very confidence boosting when starting something unfamiliar. We usually have a discussion about it first, then it goes ahead. Two heads are always better than one.

Everyone should have one, even the more experienced amongst us.

Bogs

Spot on Bogs. :bow:

Working on ones own can sometimes turn one into a mushroom. (kept in the dark and fed on BS)

Best Regards
Bob

Bogstandard said:
Everyone should have one, even the more experienced amongst us. - Bogs
I agree, but unfortunately my mentor of many years, Ol' Jim, died a few years ago. He was more than just a hobby mentor, he was my professional mentor and a surrogate father. There was so much more I needed to learn from him but one day he said he believed he'd had enough and a couple of weeks later he was gone. Count yourselves lucky you still have Jims in your lives, if for nothing else, as Bogs says, than to have them at the ready.

Everyone should have one, even the more experienced amongst us. - Bogs

Mine is HMEM. I usually get a good answer to all my questions and can find a wealth of knowledge on just about any model subject.

Hi
You`r my mentors!
I never had the luck to know any machinist in person :(
I started into machining because of curiosity at first, and because of a broken crank pin of my motorcycle; and a lathe was cheaper than the part!
It took me a few week to have the part done (now i could surely turn it in a couple hours).
Amazingly, that bike rides me to work every day since the last 5 years :bow:

Cheers,
Norberto

nfk said:
Hi
You`r my mentors!

Same here i don't know any body else who does this hobby so with out this site i would still be sat looking at a lathe in a box scratching my head .
so really i have over 6000 mentors.
Thanks

Rob.......

Latest posts

Back