Abrasive stones

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

applescotty

Reaction score
Motivated by Kludge's post about asking questions, I thought I'd throw this one out there.

I'm completely confused by abrasive hand stones. I'm sure it's a lot like files, in that once you've had some experience with them, it's easy. But, not having any real experience with them, I'm just confused.

I've got a set of Japanese water stones that I purchased for sharpening knives and such, and I do okay with those. But I don't think they're suitable for most metalworking purposes.

So, here's a list of questions:

1) What kind of stones do you find useful in your shop? What type, what grit, what shape, what size?
2) What do you use each for?
3) Do you use them dry, or with oil?

Scott

Scott,

For hand touch up of lathe tools, drills etc. I use a small fine diamond stone about 1" x 2" fine grit and I also have a green stone about the same size and grit for carbide tips.

Best Regards
Bob

I also have Japanese water stones they are fantastic for wood chisels, knives and such like, but as for honing lathe tools, I'm sure one would end up gouging big holes in them!.

I have a small (keyring sized) fold up fine diamond "stone" that I use for touching up lathe tools after grinding,with a drop of water or spit to stop it clogging up, I've had it for 5 or 6 years and it still works a treat!, great for TCT too! and they stay flat, I think I paid about $20 for mine but it seems to be well worth it!

Giles

I have a couple 1/2x1/2x6" stones from Brownells. They're good for cutting and polishing on small flat surfaces-- I use the brown one that I think is 400 grit quite a bit, the finer ceramic one a lot less so.

I have a set of diamond hones that came from Harbor Freight that I use for my lathe tools, have had them for years and they work just fine. They are about 1x3 inches and 3 different grades. I also have some stones that I purchased form enco, that I find handy to have around. They are all one grade, green in color, about 6 inches long. They are small, I have 2 round ones, a triangle one, and some smaller flat ones. They are all less than 1/2 inch on a side. I use them to touch up milling cutters, taps etc. They are called tool room polishing sticks, here is a link to the page in the enco catalog. http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=283&PMCTLG=00

The other stones do not get used much other than sharpening knifes and wood chisels.

Dale

for the price they might be worth a try but saying that ,I bought a set of 3 larger one very cheap, they work ok but even the finest one is a bit too coarse for touching up tooling, the better quality ones look more or less the same but I think they have a more even diamond coating and are available in finer grades

Giles

applescotty said:
So, here's a list of questions:

1) What kind of stones do you find useful in your shop? What type, what grit, what shape, what size?
2) What do you use each for?
3) Do you use them dry, or with oil?

Scott

For honing HSS lathe tools after grinding them on a 6" grinder, I use an ordinary carborundum stone with light oil lubrication to get the worst of the grinding marks out, then a final polish with an Arkansas stone used dry. Are you supposed to use oil on them as well?

From time to time, I clean the Arkansas stone with white spirit (UK name for paint thinners - similar to turps substitute).

For touching up Carbide tips (which I use only for roughing out) I have a set of EzeLap diamond hones. I'm a cheapskate and if the tip gets damaged, I try and get a useable tip. Like I said, I only use them for roughing out, so I'm not too worried about the surface finish with them.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Go online to McMaster Carrs site and look up "Abrasive Files". You will find them in varying shapes and 3 different grit sizes. They are Norton India stones in actuality. Get a fine and medium in 1/2X1/2X4", a 1/2" and 1/4" diameter round, and a fine triangular for touching up threads. The last stone needed is a round edge slip stone in fine grit. Every machinist has to have these. Hard arkansas stones are good for taking a burr off of a finished/polished part, but not much more.

If you are wanting to polish, you will need some Gesswin stones which are 1/8" square by about 4" long in grit sizes 3, 6, 9, and 12. After that you switch over to diamond paste and hard felt bobs on a dumore or dremel.

If you have an extra $15 and work on machines, get a Combination Machine-Knife stone (#474A4). You won't be sorry. -Mike

Oops, I just re read your post/questions.

Solvent or kerosene makes a stone cut much better than dry but is not necessary. WD40 will work better on aluminum (not the best medium for stoning).

Clean stones by rubbing flat faces together after dipping them into solvent. That keeps them flat and clean.

-Mike

Latest posts

Back