About as simple as it gets

• Thread starter compound driver
  • Start date
Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
georgeseal said:
Live Steam ran a artical about the time Bob Manard was comming out with the CLYSHAY. About mid 70's
no plans just a discription and pictures.

There are plans available for the Clishay. A friend of mine had started building one. Not sure if he got them from Live Steam magazine or from one of the Village Press books.

Mike

I spent all day today driving the Lombard at the Owls Head transportation Museum. This is the one owned by the late Harry Crooker, his family just put it on loan to OHTM. Since they had no one qualified to run it they called the Boothbay RR museum and our guys went up to run it, and I went along as driver.

It took a couple hours to get up steam on some nice dry firewood. It was a foggy, damp day. the air show was grounded, but we were able to run for several hours. The thing is a bear to steer. This one has a set of wheels on the front for summer use. We started out on the grass, but in just 2 runs we had mud almost up to out hubs, so we moved out onto the pavement. We left some marks, but didnt really hurt it. I ran a few passes at teh throttle, but mostly I steered.

Here is an overview photo,
RS_DSCN0890.JPG

and here I am at the wheel
RS_DSCN0892.JPG

Ron
I'm sorry you were forced to suffer such a day. ;)

COOL TOY! Thm:

Rick

The engine is a 2 cylinder, driving a disk crank that is up on the frame. The center of the crankshaft passes through a gear box that looks like about 4:1. The output of the gearbox drives a cross shaft and on each side is a chain drive to the main sprocket. The rear axle is solid, no differential. Thats part of why steering is so tough.

The engine is pretty typical of locomotive practice. up to the crank.The Johnson bar has several notches on the forward side, but only one on reverse- I guess you didnt back these up very much, certainly not when hooked to a train of sleds.

It is interesting that the injectors are right on the backhead, and the water input goes into the backhead- the hottest part of the boiler. Locomotives injected the water near the smoke box, but that made a long outside pipe which I suppose they worried about freezing. Even the lubricator is back in the cab, driven by a long push rod form the valve stem, then a long oil line back to the cylinders.

It sure is tempting to start a model of this- particularly now that I have such good access to one. Owls Head has some event each weekend of the summer, the director told me he'd like to run the Lombard a few times a year.

That's just plain amazing. :bow:

Do you have any cab shots? That injector and lubricator relocation sounds interesting, too.

Thanks Ron.

I should have known that it wouldn't be to complicated.

Like I said in an earlier post on this subject I believe Model Railroader ran a series on the Lombard loader. I believe they used what was called ice roads to tow the log buggies along. Must have been fun going down hill.

I don't think anybody has ever done a model of it. Sure would be nice to see one in maybe 3" scale?

Bernd

shred said:
it would be a fun variant on the traction-engine to build.... ..
You're right, it certainly would be fun, especially with the skiis. If I ever build a traction engine, I'm going to consider a Lombard.

Latest posts

Back