A small pile of X2 mods...

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TroyO

Reaction score
In the welcome thread Carl (zeeprogrammer) mentioned I should post some pics of mods, so here ya go...

First up is filling the bottom of the column with epoxy concrete. I used a piece of plumbing pipe to plug the "hole". I sealed the bottom with aluminum tape and filled it with about 50/50 30 minute epoxy and concrete mix. (Only about 6" worth to leave room for the air spring.)

Epoxy1.jpg

Epoxy2.JPG

Epoxy3.JPG

Next up is the handles. I think the chrome rims will go nice with the racing stripes and flames... Hmmm, maybe I could make spinners? ;D

Handel4.jpg

Handle3.jpg

handle2.jpg

handle1.jpg

Here's a couple of progress pics of the Z Gib.. I didn't do this one out of brass, but I did flatten/clean up and fill in the pips (witness my crap attempt at Mig welding... LOL.) then redrilled in the right place.

Anyway... the effort was rewarded.. notoce the gib now sits flat against the dovetail and the bottom way? It didn't do that before.

ZGib1.JPG

ZGib2.JPG

Last of the stuff I have pics of.... making brass gibs.

I made them because:

1) It was just as easy as fixing the stock gibs would have been... filling/redrilling/etc.
2) I had read that the friction between cast and brass was lower. It's supposed to be on an oil film anyway.... so not really sure it helps.

Anyway... pic 1 shows how I managed the clamping, and 2 shows how I did it without having a mill... good old grunt work with a file. I used a bit of 18 Ga stainless to protect the machine space.

Edit: Man, I hope I can run the mill better than a keyboard... typo city

YGib1.jpg

YGib2.jpg

Nice mods TroyO.
Reminds me of a few I need to do.
What kind of a difference did you notice from filling the column?

I'm not sure... I've never used it without it. General consensus is that the column collapses under pressure and allows the column to move fore/aft. By shoring it up you eliminate that flex. I plan on doing a backplate as well.. belt and suspenders, it can't hurt. :)

This all has happened "Out of the box" before I ever used it (Or any mill at this point, LOL.) so I don't have a point of reference for how much they helped. I'm just going by the most popular mods out there, and which seems reasonable in terms of cost. It's mostly back together now... some final tweaking and taking some time to make a riser for the base and it will be done. (Well, enough to use it anyway.)

Ones I didn't take pics of:

Split Nut mod
I split the leadscrew nuts and drilled/tapped an extra hole in the saddle on both X and Y so I can adjust the nut backlash externally without removing anything.

Rack spacing
I put a couple layers of aluminum tape under the rack to space it closer to the pinion gear to reduce backlash.

Y axis travel mod
I removed a portion of the front boss to allow more Y travel.. it's almost kissing 5" now. It's so close I have been trying to find a way to sneak in that extra .07 so I can say it has exactly 5 inches, LOL.

Air Spring kit from LMS
Been covered enough.,.. I think everyone knows it, LOL.

Oo. Oo. I'm real interested in the split nut mod.
I came across that on some site last year when I started this hobby and got the mill.
When I finish the project I'm working on, I hope to work on the mill.
The table rotates several degrees when cranking X unless the Y is clamped.

There's been a few threads about a backplate. I have the plate to do that.
I also got a a nice piece of angle from...Rick (black85vette) that will help to keep the mill in tram.

Very nice work. Thm: I am interested in checking out my mill column now :) and see just what if any 'mass increasing potential' there is. Bet ya can't wait to make some chips eh? ;D

Cheers,
Chazz

Haha, yeah I am getting antsy to make some chips! First up will be a couple of mods to the 8X lathe compound so I can mount my latest toy.. an AXA size Quick Change Tool Post. I got an A2Z one and have been using it a year but the AXA is MUCH bigger/stronger and the 8X has the hutzpah to make use of it.

Note that I didn't fill the whole comumn... just the bottom 6", otherwise the air spring won't fit.

I may try and do an "epoxy granite" fil and add some mass to whatever nooks and crannies I can find on the mill.

Zee, I wish I could take credit for the split nut mod, or even more so this particular adjustable version but I first saw it over at CNCZone. A gent by the name of Chuckkie posted his take on it, with the extra holes and such for external adjustment. It took some looking at his pics and description and scratching my head to "get it" but it does work wonderfully.
(Mods, if linking to other forums is a problem I appologize.. please remove if that's the case.)
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=583342&postcount=43

Also.. sounds like your Y axis gibs need some tightening. ;D

Hey Troy, lets see some more of those X2 mods. They are like potato chips to me, I just cant get enough.

btw, love your epoxy/granite fill. I filled the base of my x2 with the stuff

Thanks for showing the mods, Troy. For the column fill, did you just combine dry concrete mix with epoxy?

Mike

That's exact what I did. Definitly no magic mix.... for dampening/vibration purposes there IS a special mix of gravel sizes and stuff. (Epoxy granite)

For just shoring up the column base.. any filler will do. I almost went with using plaster powder.

On to the next... mostly because I happened to run in to them while looking for something unrelated, I got a couple of "Angel Eyes" LED light rings that are usually used to add a ring of lights to a car's headlight.

I got two sets, 60MM and 80MM in hopes that they would fit around the spindle on the X2, and nest to each other for two rings worth of light. Very inexpensive, was around $16 for both sets of 2, shipped. So, I have one for the mill and a spare set to boot... $8 to light up the mill! Very bright as well... even just the 80MM ring alone would be a big improvement. The wiring and solder joints are tiny and weak.. no big deal as I'm doing my own wires anyway. The ring itself is well made and strong. There is a 100mm (About 4 Inch) ring available too... figured I'd wait on that and see if these two were enough.

This is the Ebay store I got them from:

http://stores.ebay.com/Surprising20...12QQ_sidZ883922362QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322

Or, just search "Angel Eyes" on Ebay.

I got the 80MM set yesterday... no sign of the 60MM set just yet. I'll post the mods as they go along.

RingLight1.jpg

RingLight2.jpg

I've got a light made with those ring-shaped LED's. I think I used and 80mm and 100mm (I'd have to check). Anything smaller and it wouldn't fit over the spindle. Works OK except one of them puts out a blue-tint instead of white.

The 60mm ones came in today, so I'll be able to check and see if it makes it around the spindle or not tonight. I didn't measure, just guessed. Risked my $6! ;-) (As if they wouldn't be used for something.... LOL, been meaning to make an Iron Man arc reactor.. ;-)

I also started work on an "Accessory" power supply... took an old PC supply (One of the long flat ones... like two paperbacks top to bottom) and hacked it for a 12V/10A supply for a myriad of mill add ons. DRO power, Drill motor power feed, lights, and whatever else I come up with.. LOL. 3 barrel style jacks and 2 Molex type plugs so up to 5 things. I'll mount it to the back of the column, and wire the AC so it comes on with the main switch.

That link wasn't working, but I found the file.... it's in the GrizzHFMinimill group under files...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GrizHFMinimill/files/

And it's called Seig X2 X Axis Alignment Aid.pdf

I'll try a direct link again.. maybe it will work?

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/4MgKTL...xBGLuymMwq2o/Sieg X2 X Axis Alignment Aid.pdf

Anyway.. I do plan something similar. I'm making my own belt drive so I'll extend the back of the drive plate a little and drill and tap for the adjustment bolts.

FYI... the 60MM ring light does make it over the spindle, with about 1/4" (Or 6MM... since the lights are metric, LOL.) clearance. So, about 3MM each side. It also nests inside the 80MM ring just about perfect, again with about a 1/8th gap.

All in all.. looks promising!

First chips.... YAY! :big: :big: :big:

I started on some 1/4 angle pieces to make some vise clamps, and drew "first chips" with the mill. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked... no chatter, nice smooth cut and just plain sounded "right". A far cry from the couple of times I've milled something using my 8x14 lathe... not nearly as scary. :eek:

I also have another mod to add to the pile.... a 12V "Accessory" power supply. I have those 12v ring lights set up and was going to use a wall wart to power it initially, but then I thought about all the other stuff I may add later... power feed, maybe a coolant system.. whatever.

So, I hijacked a computer power supply. This one was from a "Mini desktop" but most any PC supply will have 12V
output, and pretty powerfull too. This one is good for 10A, more than enough for a power feed which will probably be the biggest draw. I added some plugs 2 "Molex" style for big stuff and 3 "Barrel plug" style for small stuff... like the lights.

I wired it in to the AC lines that go to the little power supply that runs the fan in the motor controller box, it only goes hot when the mill is on. It's also after the fuse in the circuit.... I'm not sure yet how happy that fuse will be about it. I can maybe bump it a notch if it has trouble, but I suspect the 12V supply won't pull enough to really count much. (180 watt supply, so most it should pull is 1.4 amps @ full load)

Two of the pics shows the ring lights... not mounted yet, but both rings make it around the spindle. You can't really see the one I took without the flash... the light is so bright it kind of washed out, LOL.

100_1403.JPG

100_1411.JPG

100_1422.JPG

100_1421.JPG

TroyO said:
Ones I didn't take pics of:

Split Nut mod
I split the leadscrew nuts and drilled/tapped an extra hole in the saddle on both X and Y so I can adjust the nut backlash externally without removing anything.

Any way I could get a picture of this mod, i.e. where'd you drill the holes?

Thanks in advance,
smarston

I can take some pics, but I'm not sure how to do it so it makes sense... maybe a crap-o-cad drawing would work better. I'll try and get something together this weekend.

Back