A site with a bunch of free plans

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW, the YahooGroup "ElmersEngines" also has the entire PDFs of that book online (the copyright holder ok-ed it) and members who have built most of them.

That is a GOTTA BUILD engine!
It just may be my next project.

Hi Mem's,
Just building this one, started last week, got it running last night.
A few pointers while building.
ALL holes in the rotating blocks have to be truly parallel to each other and square to the running faces. No 'that will do's here', if it isn't right it just locks up (believe me, I've got the t-shirt and baseball cap)
The pistons have to be exactly at right angles, I spent hours tweaking to get them exact. You might also find that when bent and set up the are way too long, better to trim to length just before assembly (I took about 0.080" off the length of each end), then recheck the squareness. Also make a couple of spares, they only take a few minutes to turn up.
Can someone explain how to easily post pics, then I can show what has been done.

John

Bogstandard said:
Hi Mem's,
Just building this one, started last week, got it running last night.
A few pointers while building.
ALL holes in the rotating blocks have to be truly parallel to each other and square to the running faces. No 'that will do's here', if it isn't right it just locks up (believe me, I've got the t-shirt and baseball cap)
The pistons have to be exactly at right angles, I spent hours tweaking to get them exact. You might also find that when bent and set up the are way too long, better to trim to length just before assembly (I took about 0.080" off the length of each end), then recheck the squareness. Also make a couple of spares, they only take a few minutes to turn up.
Can someone explain how to easily post pics, then I can show what has been done.

John

Thanks for the tips, that will save a builder some headaches.

To post a picture find the url like this http://www.floridaame.org/GalleryPages/IMG2005/Brian Konsela Elbow 0219.JPG

highlight the url and hit the button that says Img, you will end up with a code that looks like this..
Code:
[img]http://www.floridaame.org/GalleryPages/IMG2005/Brian%20Konsela%20%20Elbow%200219.JPG[/img]

when you post that code it will show as a picture.
Brian%20Konsela%20%20Elbow%200219.JPG

Mike,
Many thanks about the posting of pics, I will get some uploaded now.
Have finally got the elbow engine running like it should be, four days to build, three days to get it running. What an absolute pig, even though I used very accurate DRO on my miller, found one of the horizontal bearing block holes required moving by 0.010", little would you believe that all the trouble was caused by the flywheel upright support plate being 0.001" thicker on one side than the other, so the flywheel was minutely kicked over. So if you are going to build the elbow engine, make sure everything is bob on, or leave plenty of fine adjustments on the mounting holes. Other than that it is a great engine and fairly easy to build.

John

Thanks John, I will end up building one in the near future. I go up to my brothers shop and get metal, I may just use my brothers tools to machine the critical parts.

I am getting hooked on this stuff, as time goes on I will make a collection of engines. My home shop tools are seeing way more use since I started. :D

thanks for a FANTASTIC link i have been looking of a nice looking mill engine and now i will have something to do Saturday afternoon

the "project" (gauge 1 loco) will be on stand by

any more plans sites out there?

thanks

andy

andpartington said:
thanks for a FANTASTIC link i have been looking of a nice looking mill engine and now i will have something to do Saturday afternoon

the "project" (gauge 1 loco) will be on stand by

any more plans sites out there?

thanks

andy

We are always on the look out for more sites to share with everyone.

While some like the PDF format, Im not in love with it. I would rather download a zip file of .jpg prints with a readme.txt or just a bunch of .jpg plans ready to print.

The old book scans in .pdf work but it would be nice if someone could edit and make them better.

I can't get this engine off my mind. Have everything but the drill rod in the shop.

I tried the link above, but do not get any pdf plans for for the rotary (page just locks up and I have to kill IE). Can someone provide another link or email me the plans?
Thanks,
Jim

Great site!! I'd missed it somehow, but it's now safely ensconced in my bookmarks. The geared "epicyclic" steam engine has a lot of gears turning in my own head, now that I've finally have the source and part numbers for the gear sets. I'm already playing with a couple of fun ideas in my 3D editor. It's the one engine that is likely to take the lead over the elbow engine on my "to do" list.

One more reason to get motivated to finish the "Butt Ugly Radial" project that has been languishing on my work bench for the past few months.

thanks for sharing,
Steve

I cant open the pdf file either. Can someone please e-mail it. Sure would like to give it a try. Thanks
Ralph

I down loaded it. It looks good on the screen however when I printed it to paper the whole page was unreadable blue.

The instructions talk about the workings being a "Hobson's Coupling". I did a Google search and can't find the history other than compairing it to a CV joint. Is there a Mr. Hobson that invented this? :?

Latest posts

Back