A First Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Maplesyrup

Hi im 15 live in Australia and am fascinated by the world of engines. Espeacially stirling and steam. I have attempted 2 stirling engines which to date have not been excellant but i have learnt alot about machining with lathes etc. I am wondering what would be the best starting engine ( That requires little heat) for a begginer like me with a little knowledge around a workshop but is no engineeer. Any hints/tips would be most appreaciated.

Hi MS, Firstly welcome to the best place for your inquisitive mind on the net!

Secondly... I am not the guy who is going to be able to answer your question well.... As I'm too scared to attempt a stirling just yet! :-\

I have taken to a Safe road of discovery, I built a treadle/finger engine first and then progressed to a little steamer, I now intend to build another slightly more complex steamer and carry on increasing my skill as well as my engine collection! ;)

I think of Stirling's as requiring a great deal of accuracy.... This I do not yet have, so I am making the steamers etc to help me get to the point that I am confident enough with my machines and my skill level to tackle them.

Many others have built stirlings as a first/second engine... Hats off to them cause I am still of the opinion that I need to practice more!

Ask Twinsquirrel about his first stirling (engine of the month) he can give you some first engine advice I bet?

Then there are the old sage like super knowledgeable builders... they know who they are! soon they will write something for you I am sure ;D

I know... I talk a lot for someone with nothing to say. ;D So I'll leave you with this..... Keep building, sooner rather than later you will end up with one you can't stop smiling about ;)

Ralph.

A very coomon first engine is the wobbler. There are different options ranging from castings to bar stock. It is typically run on compressed air but could probably be run on steam pressure.

Well I'm certainly no expert on stirlings but I can tell you that they are not as hard as most people thnk, having said that you do need to be pretty bloody minded to get them to run. If you have access to a lathe a really good place to start for plans for LTD stirling engines would be Jan Ridders website http://heetgasmodelbouw.ridders.nu/index.htm

Latest posts

Back