A $75 'ooops!'

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allen

Reaction score
As part of rebuilding the 2/5 size oil pull, I needed to remove the factory flat belt pulley to put a vee belt sheave behind it.

I managed to press the pulley back about 1/16", which SHOULD have freed the gib key -- it didn't.

So, I made up a key puller, and just as the key started to break loose, I missed a swing, and....

One 76 year old pulley in pieces. 2 big chunks and half a dozen little ones - all fresh breaks. All I can figure is I just got "lucky" and hit a stress point.

And yes, the replacements I could find are in the $72-$77 range. It will run without until I can find one a little less spendy

You may have gotten "lucky"!

It's better to have stress cracks show from a hammer strike than open up when being machined
or running under load.

I had a half pound chunk of steel blast off the side of a big new forging one day while I was rough
turning it. I had heard it crackle a couple times and was afraid it may have been cracking on me.

I was even more afraid of checking my pants after it actually blew up when the tool passed over it. :D

That was probably 10 years ago, but I still have that chunk of steel.

StressFractureFront.jpg

StressFractureBack.jpg

Rick

Latest posts

Back