6 jaw chuck

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfellows

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the principle advantages of a 6-jaw, self-centering chuck over a 3-jaw chuck?

Chuck

Hi Chuck

A 6 jaw-Chuck has less runout than a 3-jaw chuck.
Its almost as good as collets. Of course, i am talking about a good one... (and no chinese-stuff...)

Florian

Florian said:
Hi Chuck

.... Of course, i am talking about a good one... (and no chinese-stuff...)

Florian

I was afraid someone would say that...

Hi Chuck,
I use a 6 jaw chuck. A couple of advantages are:

Less distortion on thin wall parts.

You can remove one or two jaws to clear protrusions on the part and still grip well. Think steam chest or fittings on a cylinder. Although a 4 jaw will probably be the better choice in this case.

You can remove every other jaw and use it as a 3 jaw if desired, although I don't remember ever doing this.

In my opinion, 3 and 6 jaw chucks of the same quality will have equal accuracy, but the 6 jaw will cost a little bit more. If yu are getting a new high quality chuck, I would get one that has an Adjust-tru or equivalent feature so you can adjust the runout for the most common used size of stock that you use. On even the best of self centering chucks the runout will vary on the diameter of the stock. On the better ones, the runout will vary less.

Gail in NM

I use a very good Cushman 6-way that came with my lathe. It is very accurate, as Gail says.

I just bought a 3-jaw that I will make soft jaws for. That's the best solution for accuracy or for very thin parts.

I use this one: Grizzly P/N G9852

At $119.95 it IS a cheap import. ;)
I works great for me! If you have ever distorted a thin wall part
in a 3 jaw, you will see the difference the very first time you use it.

One note.
If you buy one, the very first thing you need to do is get out the
number stamps and stamp matching marks on every jaw and it
corresponding slot in the chuck. If you don't it can become a very
frustrating puzzle to reassemble.

Rick

Rick: Would you care to detail the procedure you followed to get the jaws back in, before you numbered them? ;D

Sure...

I used the S*W*A*G Method.
(Scientific Wild A$$ Guess)

Numbering is much easier! 8)

Rick

Latest posts

Back