3D printing outfits?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lakc

Reaction score
Has anyone used any 3d printing companies? Recommendations? I am thinking of using 3d printing for some molding patterns.

Thanks Dan! They have been the frontrunner so far. Since I have 0 experience with this, I wanted to ask around a bit.

I uploaded a simple shell model to print in their cheapest material, with the intentions of using it as a pattern for sand casting. There is so much potential in this method, I am wondering if I should try investment casting or upload further core tooling. As my patternmaking skills have never been the greatest, this does open up a whole new world of possibilities.

The shipping cost for UPS to your door is included in the cost to anywhere in the world. I did not have to pay any import tax to the US but that might not be true for other countries.

The home built printers do not have a very good resolution it would be quicker and a lot more efficient in my opinion to make patterns the old fashoned way.

The Shapeways stuff has reasonable resolution but things like gears will not work well with out a whole lot of post processing.

Dan

Diy89 said:
Have you considered building one?

Yes I have. I am sure it would be great fun. I do a lot of ham radio homebrew electronics, and for no good reason I try to keep the hobbies seperate. I just have a bigger itch to cut metal at this moment.

For example, one half of an engine block pattern for sand casting is only $12. For as little time as I can devote to my hobby, that saves a month of work for me. Just ordering it is a no-brainer, except, do I want that with or without core prints. :)

Lakc said:
For as little time as I can devote to my hobby, that saves a month of work for me.

Thats the truth! If i add one more "hobby" to the shop, I'll never get anything done!

Without checking, I hope I'm not breaking any rules here I like this site.
If someone needs a 3D cad model for rapid prototyping or whatever, I can provide 3D dwg (autocad), 3D dxf (autocad), or 3D inventor files.
I can also do the 2D drawings that go along with the 3D models but, that takes more time.
I'm unemployed, (thanks for the CHANGE obama), now all I can do is (HOPE), I'm not greedy I know most of you guys are where I want to be ... retired and tinkering. :bow:
Check out the download section for models I uploaded.

You also may be able to use a CNC router to make bucks for sandcasting? I am considering the same for making molding bucks for my Vac Forming machine. The Z on the one I can make use of is 5".... and I could always do layers.

Or maybe take a class at a community college that has one?

I actually have access to both a router and a 3D printer now, oddly enough. I found a local place where you can get a membership like a gym, but it has machine tools. You might try a net search and see if there is something like that in your area. (The one in Denver CO is called Club Workshop.)

TroyO said:
You also may be able to use a CNC router to make bucks for sandcasting?
Yes, that would be acceptable. Sand doesnt care much for what its packed against, along as there are adequate draft angles. For the price, I cannot beat shapeways so far.
I actually have access to both a router and a 3D printer now, oddly enough. I found a local place where you can get a membership like a gym, but it has machine tools. You might try a net search and see if there is something like that in your area. (The one in Denver CO is called Club Workshop.)
The one I know of around here does not have much in capabilities.

[/quote]

Back