10x22 Lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdcool4

Reaction score

I am looking into buying my first lathe.The Grizzly 10x22 looks to be a good starter lathe with a decent size.But it looks like a lot of people have to add reverse and a vfd.I came across the Craftex cx700 its a bit more and i would have to save longer but it has reverse and is varible speed.I was wondering if any one has heard anything about it and if its worth it ?

How about an intro post in the "Introductions" section?

Tell us a bit about yourself and what you are planning on building.
That gives us the opportunity to give you solid advice.
Also your location helps a lot!
From the Craftex it tells me you are in Canada somewhere?

Andrew

Sorry ill post into that section.But I am John I am from Ohio,I work as a mechanic on heavy duty trucks,I have always wanted a lathe ever since I was in high school and i got to take a few classes at GM when i had access to there machine shop every other wensday after school.As for what i plan to build i don't really have nothing in mind other then some day when i am good enough i want to build a model engine.The only reason i was looking at the craft ex lathes is because i came across the 10x22 with digital read out and decided to look at it and found it had many features that other people are adding to there grizzly 10x22 lathes

JD: what we want and what we can afford sometimes leaves a gap. the Grizzly is a good size and a good starter lathe. most import machines are prebuilt kits. most could use upgrades and improvements.

My thought is buy the grizzly and the tools you need to go with it.

Download the plans for the LMS oscilator and the Mcabe runner.

build an engine. . then when you have the extra money upgrade the lathe for easier use.
Tin

I been thinking the same thing.Plus you get the advantage of the bigger hole through the chuck and the bigger 4 jaw chuck.

I've been asking around about this same lathe and have heard many good things about it. My question, to add on to jdcool's - if one can afford either a lathe or a mill in this price range... would it be best to get a lathe first or mill?

I know a couple engines can be built exclusively on a lathe, can any be built exclusively on a mill?

- Ryan

IMHO if you have to choose get the lathe first. Is possible to build an engine with just a lathe or just a mill.
in days of your many home shops just had a lathe. Although it is nice to have a mill or a shaper or both.

Tin

Before my lathe was delivered, I made an engine with only my mill. Thread is here.
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=15912.0

I have the Griz G0602 10x22 and it has done everything that I need with no problems I have done a few upgrades
1. QCTP
2. DRO on the cross slide
3. Bison 5C Set Tru collet chuck
4. Dial indicator on tailstock

Thinking back to the engine made on my mill (BF 20), I think it was easier to use the mill as a lathe for the cylinder and piston that it wouldn have been to do the milling on the lathe.
That said, my more recent engines would have been very difficult without both.
Best
Stan

Latest posts

Back