1-2-3 precision blocks

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
should I make up a couple odf sets... available time will decide I guess...
Artie to make your own they should be heat treated and precision ground.
so you need a surface grinder. the good thing here is if you make say four sets at the same time they will all match.
Tin

John, can't comment on the 2-3-4 blocks as I have never seen any in the flesh.
seen them at shows but never thought to look at them.

Blogwitch said:
Many thanks for the info John.

Do you know if the same problem exists with the 2-4-6 blocks? I always fancied getting a set, but because they are so expensive, I don't want to make the same mistake twice.

I will eagerly await Arc Euro to release theirs, then I will replace my old useless ones.

Maybe someone should set up in business grinding the undersized holes out to the correct size.
I think I will try grinding up a masonry drill to normal drill bit angles, and see if they can be drilled out.

Blogs

Blogs

I have a set of 2-4-6 blocks and have not come across any problems so far. See an earlier post on them:
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=5061.0

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Artie said:
Philistine that I am...I was going to ask... "what are they used for?", I havent seen them before but after this description my imagination is 'seeing' uses fo rthem in all sorts of ways... a couple of pairs will find a spot in my shop soon.... just gottta find a supplier locally... or should I make up a couple odf sets... available time will decide I guess...

Here y'go Artie. I buy a bit of stuff off this mob, and they are pretty good - and fast.

http://www.mcjing.com.au/categorybrowser.aspx?categoryid=292

Wow,Tel,are they gold plated?45 smackers,and that looks like each!Add a bit for exchange and I would end up paying 130-140 $nz.
They are handy,but not at that price.
FWIW,I use a pair of 1/2 inch HSS tool blanks as paralells.Close enough for me ;D

bentprop said:
Wow,Tel,are they gold plated?45 smackers,and that looks like each!Add a bit for exchange and I would end up paying 130-140 $nz.
FWIW,I use a pair of 1/2 inch HSS tool blanks as paralells.Close enough for me ;D

I'd have to weigh mine to be sure, but at 1.2kg I suspect it's for a pair

bentprop said:

You have to be careful...not all blanks are square and you can end up tilting a part by several thou.

FYI gentlemen and ladies Little Machine Shop has there 1-2-3 blocks on sale. I would check them out. It seems as there`s have both tapped and thru holes. Just my 2cents worth. Mike

Blogwitch said:
Dave,

Many thanks for the information, I will now add a pair to my buying list.

John
[/quote

John

I should have added that I got them from SHARS (I think that is the spelling) in the US, several years ago - when postage rates were almost reasonable, and the Customs weren't so vigilant.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thanks Dave,

I did a search over here and they are way too expensive for what they are, and buying anything in from the States is now out of the question. Anyone would think you were paying for national secrets for the price of the carriage they charge. Their loss, I'll do without first, or get my mate to bring some home with him next time he visits.

Blogs

Latest posts

Back