Yuppie gadget put to good use

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mklotz

Reaction score
One of our club members put me on to this and I thought I'd pass it along.

Apparently yuppies are wont to barbecue in the dark (how they achieve dark in the presence of a barbecue fire is left as an exercise for the reader) so the gadget makers who make their living catering to yuppie needs came up with a rather clever barbecue light.

Available at Lowes ($10 on sale), and, I suspect, most of the other usual suspects, the package looks like this...

BBQ1.jpg

Once opened, it looks like this. The base, which contains the batteries (3xAAA) and on/off switch, has two strong magnets as well as a C-clamp for attaching to just about anything.
The 24" long flexible stalk terminates in a 6 LED shaded light.

BBQ2.jpg

I bought two. One was mounted to the mill to augment the lights already installed therein.

BBQ3.jpg

The other is currently on the cutoff saw but will probably find future uses in other dark corners of my world (and there are many).

good tip Marv. I should buy one, i never feel like i can see as well as i'd like around the milling cutter

Apparently yuppies are wont to barbecue in the dark

its nothing to do with age or socio economic status or class, its a latitude thing.... its dark at dinner time in the winter up....but i disagree on the yuppy bit.....that's a down south hill billy barbecue light, any self respecting yuppy would have a hardwired exterior lighting with sufficient wireless controls for all applications and situations :D

Marv, that is an excellent idea! Inexpensive task lighting, and has a multitude of potential purposes.

Mcgyver said:
its nothing to do with age or socio economic status or class, its a latitude thing.... its dark at dinner time in the winter up....but i disagree on the yuppy bit.....that's a down south hill billy barbecue light, any self respecting yuppy would have a hardwired exterior lighting with sufficient wireless controls for all applications and situations :D
No sir, us down home southern hill-billy bar-b-quers cooks by the light of the bug zapper. ;D

I really feel this is a prime case of poor market research..... let's face it, what self respecting yuppie would buy a BBQ without a built in sanitizer, Ipod and lighting ............. no wonder they can't sell em' ............. which is good for you lot over there :( .......... over here we'll just have to make do with the candles ::)

unless you can post em cheaply 8)

CC

well fellas this northern boy don't need no lighting when b-b-q-ing i use the glow from the fire thats under the food being cooked.
well most times it is under the food but some times its............... :big: :big: (how well did you want the steak dear) :big: ::)

chuck

Marv neat light for the shop.
will probably find future uses in other dark corners of my world (and there are many).
Reminds me of a couple years ago I worked in a very dark steel fab shop. The lighting was limited and sporadic. Wise guy me. Made a poster with a quote from Charles Dickens the Christmas carol.
"It was impossible to see into all the dark corners . Darkness was cheap and Scrooge liked it !!" the poster was put up on the office door at work.
Tin

I was going to post a thread with exactly the same content!
Over here in the UK Axminster sell them for £13 or so, I've bought a pair and they are great value for money

Must be a yuppy tool for 10 bucks :big: They sell almost the same thing in "Poundland", a shop where everything is £1. I detest them LED's, damn color makes my eyes hurt.

Guess we can always set fire to a few yuppies (fat, gin soaked ones burn best) and work by the light of the flames.

When I was in Whitehorse, Yukon a friend of mine who worked for a large chain store said they had a whole bunch of solar powered lights ( the ones you put along a walkway or patio) going on sale. Apparently the buyer who lives down south didnt realize that up north there is no need for them in the summer, it doesnt get dark and in the winter it is to darned cold to use the patio.

Here Tel
Looking at the prices you lot down under pay for things made me think. Do your shops have pots of vasaline at the cash register?
I thought England was bad on prices! Mind you over here you wouldnt even get the grease to ease the pain!

CD2 ............. I do hear where your coming from ???

CC ;)

CD2

the tax on all these thing here is called GST ( grease sphinter tax ) so i think you gotta bring your own :big:

im doing i buy at the moment

Currency Conversion Results
Symbol U.S. Dollar Exchange Rate Australian Dollar Trans fee
USDAUD=X 410 Nov15 1.5468 634.1843 38.89

this includes freight from the US from 3 different suppliers and its still $568 AUD cheaper than buying here

its just nutz... almost half price with freight and fee's from the USA included!!!

i sent my payment this morning, next week i'll send off another $180 USD or so ( Cheers Kev!)

what i really dont understand is tool steel thats made 1400 yards from me here is still cheaper from the US than i can get it here... $48 AUD a peice compared with $7 USD plus $5.85 postage and has Sandvik specialty steels Australia stamped on it it dont make any sence at all.

Latest posts

Back