YouTube videos not working

Discussion in 'Computer Geek Zone' started by gbritnell, Mar 10, 2011.

Help Support HMEM by donating:

1. Mar 10, 2011 #1

gbritnell

gbritnell

gbritnell

Project of the Month Winner!!! Project of the Month Winner

I went to Youtube this evening and none of the videos will play. I get sound and a white box. I went to the troubleshooting section and it said I needed to uninstall FlashPlayer and install the latest version, which I did. Still no video. I am using Firefox for a browser and haven't had any problems prior to tonight. I haven't changed any of my security settings so I don't know where the problem is.
    The funny thing is if I go to a posted link from Youtube on any of the threads I can see the video. Then if I type into the search box at the top and look for one of my videos I can watch it.
    I just can't watch videos directly from the Youtube site.
    What gives?
    gbritnell

2. Mar 10, 2011 #2

doc1955

doc1955

doc1955

Gone

Retired Former Tool Design Engineer
    I'm running Firefox and have not done any updates and everything seems fine I went to Youtube and every thing I brought up played just fine. Give it a try again maybe it was just down for awhile.

3. Mar 10, 2011 #3

Jadecy

Jadecy

Jadecy

I went to several videos on the youtube site as well as several videos embedded elsewhere and had no issue. The videos run within a plugin that is an extension to the browser so browser shouldn't matter as long as it can support the plugin. I tried both firefox and an older version of IE without any issues. My installed version of the plugin is:

"You have version 10,0,45,2 installed"

You can see what you have installed by right clicking the video screen and clicking "about flash player" in the context menu.

I would try a full uninstall of flash and re-install the newest verion. Perform a hard reboot after the uninstall and then the reinstall to make sure nothing is cached.

4. Mar 10, 2011 #4

gbritnell

gbritnell

gbritnell

Project of the Month Winner!!! Project of the Month Winner

Well I played with this for a couple of hours, troubleshooting, checking settings etc.
    The one suggestion was when the video, or white screen came on, to right click and go to settings. I couldn't get that option. When I would do it it would take me to the Flash player settings and I couldn't make heads or tails out of the menu options there.
    I went back into the Youtube help and browsed around some more and found that they are in fact having trouble with compatibility issues with certain browsers. I then found another suggestion and clicked on it. It actually took me to a video through a Goggle browser. When it came on I right clicked and I finally got a settings option. In the settings they recommended unchecking the acceleration box, which I did.
    Lo and behold, everything works again. I don't know why it changed along the way but it's working now.
    Thanks for the responses,
    gbritnell

Draft saved Draft deleted