Wire wheel arbor setup

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chucketn

Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I have a perplexing question about an arbor for wire wheels/buffer mops. I was given an old Homecraft-Delta belt driven bench arbor that I want to set up as my polishing/buffing/cleaning station. It has a 1/2" shaft with left and right hand threads on the ends to hold wire wheels, etc. How do I tighten the nuts to safely hold the wire wheel/buff mop or what ever is installed? There is no way to grip the arbor shaft without damaging threads. If I use a wrench on each nut to hold the arbor, tightening one end obviously loosens the other opposite threaded end.
The only solution I can think of is to mill wrench flats on the end of the right hand threaded end as it protrudes 1" from the assembled wire wheel, arbor washer, and nut.
I have never seen an arbor like this set up and for the life of me can't get my simple mind around this problem. What am I missing?
Chuck

I've got one of those and use it with a very coarse grinding wheel on one end and a wire wheel on the other. I keep the arbor from turning as follows:
1. UNPLUG from power
2. Place wrench on the nut that I want to tighten or loosen
3. Grab both "halves" of the belt loop and squeeze them together right near the pulley on the arbor. Hang on tight.
4. Turn the nut with the wrench.

This method will not get the nut as tight as using a wrench on flats that you add to the shaft, but it will get it tight enough for use. I've been using mine that way for somewhere around 30 years and it works great.

Latest posts

Back