Widely Accepted Safety Rules: Open to Discussion?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Antman

Reaction score
For instance I would never weld nor angle grind without leather gloves. Most people say gloves are a no-no grinding, turning or milling. I for one would much rather a machine nibbling at my leather gloves than chewing my fingers off.

The issue with gloves when operating machine tools is a serious one.
If you have a stringer chip whip out and catch a finger, you will most
likely suffer a serious cut. If you have a glove on, and that stringer
catches the glove it will pull your hand into the machine. You might not
get cut, but a glove caught in a spinning spinning chuck could cost
you a whole hand.

Rick

I like my gloves a loose fit, and I believe the glove would slip off before drawing my hand in. I have developed a feel through the loose glove and believe me I take safety issues seriously and am always very aware of where my hands are relative to moving machinery.

Horses for Courses Guys,

There's hand protection - Welding, angle grinding etc.- gloves ON.

Then there's hand removal - Lathes, Mills, Shapers, Slotters, Borers, etc. Gloves OFF.

Of course they are your hands............................... :p I hope you keep them as long as I've kept mine.

Best regards
Bob

If you had ever seen a degloved hand and i mean degloved :eek: ie skin and muscle taken away inside the glove you will take the advice

That wedding rings, gloves, ties, and aprons have no place in a machine shop.

End of story

Yes I was the first one to reach him.

Well it don't sound logical to me, I would think if you wanna protect your hands, wear gloves. Please explain to me what is the sequence of events leading up the kind of accident that would cause serious hand damage in rotating machinery. What are the things to watch out for, using a lathe, the jaws sticking out of a 3 or 4 jaw chuck? Anything else? And a milling machine? Where must your hands be and what should they be doing when operating these machines? You guys make it sound inevitable that you'll receive cuts from spirals of swarf. I'm on this site because I want to learn, not ask the wrong questions

About the only operation I wear gloves for is chain sawing and occasionally hole digging. I never wear them around the machines as you just lose too much sensitivity of touch.

It was drummed into us at tech, many moons ago to never wear gloves around a grinder.

This is like riding bikes with a crash helmet. In a fatal accident you die with a round head but your neck is broke. Gloves are not going to save your life or hand in a bad accident but I question that the wearing of gloves will turn a minor mishap into a bad accident.

I will not embed the pictures for this post.
They are very graphic so I will leave it up to you
to decide if you want to see them.

The first is of a young mans finger.
He didn't believe a ring was such a high hazard as
the safety rules had implied.
Once again these pictures are very graphic!
Please don't click on the link if you think it would be
inappropriate for you.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n159/rake60/ringpic26299ke3.jpg

The second photo is of another young man who tried
to get away with loose clothing while running a lathe.
This man is very dead and half his body has been ground
away by the machine.
Please don't click on the link if you think it would be
inappropriate for you.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n159/rake60/index0.jpg

These are examples of why there are strict safety rules when
machine tools are involved. There are NO exceptions to those
rules. The machine is going to do what it was designed to do.
It doesn't know the difference between flesh and steel.

No gloves, jewelry or loose clothing around machine tools...

Rick

More than one farmer has lost an arm to a PTO from wearing gloves, catches the cuff of the glove and hand, arm, shoulder, all but history.

I wear gloves to handle items, sharp, dirty, might have spiders on em, (shiver) etc but not around rotating mass.

Personal Protective Equipment

Safety Glasses, variety of choices exist to suit personal preference. No excuse not to wear them. This is a hobby to keep the gray matter somewhat in tune, making toys after all, but it is still as inherently dangerous as if you were in a full blown production shop.

Eye Wash Can be as simple as bottled water, some of the solvents used have a road map built in to get around the Safety Glasses roadblock. Some of them solvents burn like the dickens.

No rings, No watches 'bout 40 years ago I had to change out a klystron,(microwave generator) was a 10kv .25 amp capacitor,(electrical storage device) nearby, well I wear watches no longer. Picking you rear up off the ground after being throw 10 feet is not an action I choose to repeat.

Always be Aware of Your Surroundings Self Evident

I may act the fool at times, but it is only from being the fool do i get hurt.

Be careful out there.

Antman,

It's not clear to me why you started this thread. It seems to me that your intent is more to agitate than to learn.

Gloves, jewelry, watches, rags etc. are very dangerous around rotating machinery and that fact has been known for a very long time via many bloody examples.

If you have a problem with that fact, then, by all means wear your gloves wherever you wish but don't waste verbiage trying to make a case for the advisability of doing so.

Ant....
Without trying to intentionally sound snide.... with your disregard for all too often and disastrously proven safety issues, I'd highly recommended sticking with the Legos. I'm the guy who always wound up doing clean up on the body parts left behind by those who were too smart to listen to sound advice. It's ugly, costly, painful and instantly life changing..... every time.

Safety is heavily stressed on this board and we're all about sending both newbie and old timers to bed with everything they had attached this morning. Anything that hinders that goal is not welcome. Ditch the gloves before you become our token one armed machinist.

Steve

Safety Rules were Were written in someones blood usually many times over and are non debatable.
That is why they are widely accepted!!!!!!!
Tin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back