What precision machinist level

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy_B

Reaction score
I have a Smithy 1220XL lathe and SuperX3 mill. I am in the market for a precision level that is acceptable for setting these machines up but don't want to spend $600+ for the Starrett Super Precision 15". What do you gents use or what do you recommend? Is the Starrett Model 98-8 a possible choice? I would like to get something good but I don't want to dip into my DRO fund to get it.

Thanks,

Andy

Andy,
The Starrett 98 series only has a resolution of 0.005 per foot. If you are trying to get the twist out of a lathe by leveling it you need a level with higher sensitivity, about 10 times that or 0.0005 per foot. I have a 98-6 that I use for setting up quick jobs, but not for machine alignment.

I have been using a Shars no name level for a while with my toolroom lathe and it seems to work OK. I bought it after I lost access to a high resolution name brand level. The quality seems quite good for the price and I am happy with it.

http://www.shars.com/products/view/2470/8quot_Master_Precisions_Level

Gail in NM,USA

I use a 98-6 and personally I don't think I am capable of using anything more precise than that. Measuring across the ways (6" span) one division equals .0025" and it is easy to split the divisions into four or more parts (so less than .0001"). I fully expect my floor, the lathe cabinet, and the bed itself to vary more than that from day to day.

Latest posts

Back