What milling cutters should a newbie get?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmuir

Reaction score
I purcahsed myself a HM-10 mill a little while back which is a clone of the X2 mill.
I finally got myself an ER32 chuck and collets for the mill before Christmas and now it's time to get some cutters.
I know this next question is a bit like 'How long is a bit of string?' but..
Can someone give me a recommendation on what would be a good starting setup of cutters for my mill?

Am I best buying a boxed set of end mills and leaving the slot mills until I need to make some slots or should I just buy slot mills?
Or should I just buy a couple of generic size cutters and wait until I need a smaller or larger one and just buy them then?

At the moment otehr than making some basic shop tools I have no big projects for my mill.
I just want to get the 'feel' for it doing simple stuff before I try and do anything fancy.

Thanks
Tony

Tony
If it were drill bits, I'd probably say buy a full index so you have lots of flexibility. With end mills, even though I've bought full sets, I'm finding single buys are more to my liking. It also lets you buy the odd bits like ball end mills, dove tails and such as you go along. Can't say it's actually any cheaper but you can afford to buy higher quality cutters that way.

With the x2 you'll want to stick with 13 mm or smaller. It "can" use larger, but you'll learn a lot about controlling chatter.

Steve

Today I just ordered some new endmills for the X3 for when it arrives. I am not totally new to using mills, I use to use an X1 mill.
I will say this, a high quality end mill is worlds better than a cheap one, just like drill bits. When it comes to cutting tools, I buy good stuff. Well if you can call Putnam the good stuff, thats what I ordered.
I bought 3/8 double ended 2 flute and 4 flute endmills. Use the 2 flute for Aluminum. Also bought a 1/2" 4 flute. When they come on sale, I am going to try out a roughing endmill on the X3, see what it can do compared to my X1. I can't wait!

Hard to answer, since it depends so much on what you plan to do. Although I certainly bought a few assorted endmills when I began (one has to start somewhere), I think it's been more to the point for me to buy them for the project at hand.

While this approach means that one may have to wait for a few days for an order to arrive before beginning work, it does force me to look at the drawings and plan out the operations that are going to be required, which is good. And after a few projects, of course, one will probably have accumulated enough of an assortment so very few, if any, new ones will be needed.

When I started, I got the 6 piece set from LittleMachineShop.com. Link: http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1243&category= I went with the 4 flute ones, but there is also a set of 2 flutes that is a buck cheaper. Not the greatest, but a decent assortment to get cutting metal. Oh, and you'll need a holder; don't try using them in a drill chuck.

I want to get more (ball end, more sizes), but for now I can at least make do. Like everything else, you don't really know what you need until you start doing. Get a couple, start cutting and you'll soon realize what you need.

Tony,
If I only had a choice of a couple items I'd start out with two end mills, 1/4 and 3/8 inch, and a set of collets to hold them. With those I could make a fly cutter. Those three tools would get me through the vast majority of my milling projects and allow me to make other tools. Additional tools could be added as needed.

Just my $.02AUD.

Cheers,
Kevin

I would agree with Kevin, 1/4" & 3/8" are the most used. I would add that I usually buy solid carbide end mills since I'm pretty lousy at sharpening them and they last a long time. I buy them on eBay and get a pretty good price most of the time.

Chuck

Thanks,

Looks like I'll start by just getting a couple of endmills.
I've actually got a full set of unused flycutters that I got off someone else when buying some secondhand gear for my workshop.

Mainer, I'm used to waiting for tools and materials as its very hard to get either where I live so I usually spend a week or two waiting for matarials or tools to arrive and then get a week or twos worth of work done and then repeat the waiting cycle.
But now my tools and stock are growing thankfully I don't need to order so often.

I actually have enough lathe work to do that I won't need my mill for another month or so. So now is the correct time to order everything.

Thanks Everyone.

I am one of those weird guys that has a full set of end mills and 115pc drill index then usually scourge for the tools I need in the odds and ends.
Tin

Tony

i started out with the following ( as advised by a mate who i considered a genuius in this area , RIP dezzy)

3mm or 1/8" 2 and 4 flute
6mm or 1/4" 2 and 4 flute
12mm or 1/2" 2 and 4 flute

and a 3" adjustable fly cutter

recently i bought a set of TiNi coated mills ( both end and slot)

$59.95 from travers.com

20 mills 2 and 4 flute 3/16th-3/4 by 16th's

and a ER25 collet set for the X2 clone i got a couple months ago

collets are as important as the mills IMOHO ( but i have also been known to throw a end mill in a chuck in the mill)

Tony theres is no MUST do or MUST have

get what you need is a good start, later a set may be a good investment

i've seen great work from minimum tooling and crap from those with it all

if like me your budget is tight, start small and work up, grabbing specials when possible

and with that i'll wish you the best of luck and to be knee deep in chips soon

cheers

jack

Hi Tony,i started pretty much like Jack,with 6-8-10-12 4-flute and 3-6 2-flute(slot drill).I soon found that the 6,8 and 10 4-flute were not really necessary.later picked up a 16mm 4-flute,and the 3 size flycutter set.
I only buy special shapes(ball,dovetail,etc.as and when required.
i do intend to buy 1 and 2 mm slot drills,since they are useful in small engine work.As my main collet set is metric, i ,try to stick with that.I only have a 1/2" collet for the flycutter set.
Btw,I don't know if you've already come across this note:Always feed into the rotation if possible.
the other way (climb milling) can cost you a few cutters,although it does give a very smooth surface.
To sum up then,a 12mm 4-flute, a 6mm slotdrill and the flycutting set are really all you need to get started.This is of course only my personal opinion,and some people have said that it's only worth what you paid for it :big:

I buy end mills as I need them.
That is easy because I work for a machine shop that allows us to buy
tooling from the tool crib at company cost.

Almost all of my home shop end mills are 2 flute.
Most 4 flute end mills are not center cutting and can not be used to
plunge cut.
2Flute4Flute.jpg

Some sizes can be found in a center cutting 4 flute design.

The only other cutters I use in my X2 are a homemade flycutter and 1" insert
facing mill.
Fly%20Cutter%201.jpg

1inR8Cutter.jpg

Neither of those tools are for roughing with the X2.
Light cuts ONLY!

Rick

My most-popular end mills for my little Taig are a 3/8" HSS-Co 4-flute rougher, 1/4" and 3/16" 4-flute coated carbide. The rougher can't center cut but the other two can-- These I get as used-good cutters from a local CNC shop, so they're used mills, but decent quality. I have other sizes, but these are my main ones. The rougher is on the large size for the Taig (it's forte is smaller cutters running faster), but it's good at whacking off chunks of metal and it's very tolerant of the wrong speeds/feeds & depth-of-cut. The 1/4" I use a lot for general manual milling and the 3/16" for a lot of CNC work-- it's tough enough to handle vibration, poor rigidity and errant programming of the machine much better than 1/8" or 1/16" cutters, but small enough to not chew up a lot of extra metal. If I need small features then I'll move to the littler cutters.

Thanks again everyone for advice and yes I need to be careful with my budget as it isn't that big.
I bought the mill over 4 months ago and ran out of money.
Before Christmas I got myself an er32 Chuck and collets.
Next week is pay day so I can afford to get the cutters and hopefully a small vice and then I think one of my first simple projects will be to make some more T-nuts and then some parralels.
A milling machine is something new to me so I will be taking it in small steps although the long term plan is to get a dividing head and be able to make gears I don't see this happening for some time due to budget restrants.

Back