What is this tool?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4ndy

Reaction score
This might be the dumbest question asked here, but I am not savvy with model engine building or milling at all. I am re-designing my grandfathers website where he sold Model Engine Plans (www.upshurengineworks.com) and I would like to use the image in the background of that page in the redesigned site, or a similar one. The problem is, the image quality is low and I would love to find another picture or the item in real life to take a new picture of. Sooooo...

What is the tool called in the background of this site? www.UpshurEngineWorks.com

Thanks
-Andy

Hi Andy

It's a micrometer. On behalf of many builders, thanks for keeping your
Grandfather's work available.

Cheers, Joe

At last, a question I could of answered, but I was too slow...

My set of the farm engine plans arrived in the mail today and I couldn't be happier with them. Thanks for keeping the plans available. I'm sure many more builders will be bringing your grandfather's designs to life.

Andy my boy . By some standards that could win the dumbest question award. But not here. no one here was born with one of those thingies in hand. we all had to lean from scratch.
The item in the background is a micrometer . Likely a 0-1 inch.
Likely one of the most common measuring tools in the shop and one required by every apprentice.

A suggestion get a hold of an enco or Travers tool catalog and browse thought it. I say those because MSC and McMaster car catalogs are huge.
Also download and browse thought these books. Easy reading.
Army machine tool manual
ARMY-TC-9-524/9-524

Care and use of hand tools

Just ask and i am sure there would be plenty of people willing to teach Dick uphurs grandson.
where are you located ??
Tin

I hope when you rebuild the site it won't be infected with all of those ads.

I hope when you rebuild the site it won't be infected with all of those ads.

Ads keep the internet alive. Many sites, like our very own forum, only generate revenue from serving ads. Server space and bandwidth are not free and the so called 'free' webspace that can be found is totally ad supported.

I'd rather view ads (especially ones that are aimed at my interests) than pay a subscription or have the costs of hosting, etc built into the cost of the products.

Thanks guys, as soon as I read it I knew I should've known that. I guess I am young and have mostly been exposed to more high tech electronic micrometers. Its really cool. Anyway, Thanks a bunch guys, you are all very helpful.

@Tin, I am located in New Brunswick, NJ. I will certainly check out those catalogs and the links you shared. I am not sure that I am ready for, or have the free time to learn the ways of model engine building, however I am very much fascinated and I plan for sure to explore the hobby more as I grow older. For now I am focusing on revitalizing my grandfathers business. Hopefully I can do a service to the model engine and machinist community while also continuing my grandfather's legacy.

I appreciate the feed back everyone and your suggestions for the website, I am taking emails ([email protected]) or PMs with any suggestions or requests and have already received wonderful support and suggestions.

As for the ads, I will most certainly be cleaning them up. You gotta love those old tripod websites, but the ads can be annoying. I know ads make the web go round, in a sense, but bandwidth, like cellular data is CHEAP. Web hosting is an insanely profitable business and free web space is often given to customers assuming they will upgrade as more traffic comes to their site. This is getting all technical too fast. Bottom line, II have hosting lined up where ads will not be needed at start to sustain the website. In the future, however, if traffic increases and advertising can be sold, I plan to do it on a very selective basis to ensure safe, family-friendly, relevant, useful ads in non obstructive places on the page.

Thanks again guys, I look forward to coming back here for more information, this community is incredibly friendly and knowledgeable.

-Andy

I was fortunate to know Dick, who was a fine person, and very talented. My first engine was his single Farm engine, which I built from the magazine plans, and Dick fixed my mistakes and ran it for me at Cabin Fever.
Keep the faith, make things!

Andy :
Sounds like you are on the right track with update the web sight. I am in what the pines call down Jersey not far from the Delaware bay About Two hours South of you. I am a little too far away to tutor you.
No pressure to learn the HMEM hobby we are here to help.
Tin

@tin I grew up in Mullica Hill, NJ which is exit 2 on the turnpike, and being a boy scout and avid dirt biker I have spent plenty of time in the depths of southern new jersey and the pine barrens. I love it down there, very peaceful. Thank you anyway for your offer, it is very nice of you.

Very familiar with exit 2 area used to work in Swedesboro. My office is now in Penns Grove but take care of several customers on center square road, kings highway etc. Often use exit 2 to get to places north.
Tin

Latest posts

Back