What is Copper?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeeprogrammer

Reaction score
At some point (like right now) I will have a need to obtain some copper piping/tubing.

So far all I've found is C101 and C122.

C122 is 99.9% pure and has .02% phosphorous.
C101 is 99.99% pure and has .0005% oxygen.

Piping...measured by the ID
Tubing...measured by the OD

That's all I got. Think Schultz.

Here's my questions...

Is that the stuff I'm looking for?
Piping or Tubing?
For small models, what would be typical OD? or ID? (depending on Pipe or Tube)
What about a boiler? Say big enough for a 3.5" loco. Or those nice boilers like what Firebird and others have made?
What about sheets for boiler end caps or forming?
Brass tubing/piping seems less expensive. What about that?

Where can I get more info on appropriate metals as used in our hobby?

Am I thinking too hard?

I'm okay with aluminum (6061), brass (C360), steel (1018 or 12L14)...don't know anything else. But when it comes to pressure and heat...I want to be more sure.

Thanks. Pile it on guys.

OK Zee....ya got me befuddled friend ;D

What ya trying to buid? A boiler?

I use copper tubing in my water tube boiler on my boat... type "K" which has the heaviest wall thickness, and a 1/2" OD

I'll dig a bit for you

Dave

A rough and ready weldability (fusion welding) test is this.

Heat a sample of your copper until it is glowing red.

Lay into it wif a big 'ammer.

If it crumbles - sell it to the scrap man

If it mushes out - it's weldable.

If it's weldable it's suitable for most of our purposes.

Thanks Dave. As you say...a very good read.
As for what I'm building...I miss-spoke...nothing at the moment but I do want to build a boiler some day. It should be possible to build one boiler to drive different engines.

Pat! Wow! Thanks so much. Lots of good stuff. You must have a great system for organizing data to be able to pull out all of that. I need to get better at. Thanks again!

Ah tel. There's two kinds of people. You (try it and see if it works) and me (anal). :big:

Thanks guys...lots of very good information. I'm glad I asked.

Well Zee...I am usually of the "try it and see" camp....depending on the subject at hand....

However...

You have the right to be anal with a boiler......it will serve you well.

;D

steamer said:
You have the right to be anal with a boiler......it will serve you well.

It has thus far. I've still got (most) of my parts...other than that which has dropped off on their own. ;D But there are times I wish I weren't so. The walls can be a bit tight and you can miss some doors.

But anal can equate to consistency in some arenas...and I have some big wins there.

I'll just leave it at that. ;D

I think I'm going to regret re-reading this post.

No worries mate...it's all good ;D

Dave

zeeprogrammer said:
C122 is 99.9% pure and has .02% phosphorous.
C101 is 99.99% pure and has .0005% oxygen.
Zee,
There is a convenient delineation for us (in the US) which is as follows . . . the copper tube/pipe which is normally available in the US for plumbing, refrigeration, model boilers, etc, is alloy C122. That's what most people in commerce use so that's what most suppliers stock. Tubing in anything other than C122 typically has to be ordered or specified. The copper plate and sheet which is normally available to us, unless you specifiy otherwise when you ask for plate, is C110. C101 is deoxygenated and we don't benefit from deoxygenation.

When we (or I anyway) talk about "copper" for boilers we are talking about C110 and C122.

GWRdriver said:
Zee,
There is a convenient delineation for us (in the US) which is as follows . . . the copper tube/pipe which is normally available in the US for plumbing, refrigeration, model boilers, etc, is alloy C122. That's what most people use so that's what most suppliers stock. Tubing in anything other than C122 typically has to be ordered or specified. The copper plate and sheet which is normally available to us, unless you specifiy otherwise when you ask for plate, is C110. C101 is deoxygenated and we don't benefit from deoxygenation.

When we (or I anyway) talk about "copper" for boilers we are talking about C110 and C122.

Good post! Thanks for that! :)

Dave

Thanks GWdriver. I was hoping you'd pop in.

You mention 'we don't benefit from C101 (de-oxygenated). Why is that?

Thanks for that post, Harry!
Is there any reason not to use C101 tubing for a boiler? Reason I ask is, the place I'm looking at, (Online Metals) has a much larger selection of tubing in C101 than in C122.

So basically, is C101 okay for a boiler?

Dean

zeeprogrammer said:
Thanks GWdriver. I was hoping you'd pop in.

You mention 'we don't benefit from C101 (de-oxygenated). Why is that?

De-oxidised copper is usually used in the electrical industry - it's one of the crumbly ones.

Pat: No problem. Any contribution means the thread is being read. ;D

Dean: you're looking where I'm looking. SpeedyMetals has C110.

Thanks tel.

Deanofid said:
Is there any reason not to use C101 tubing for a boiler? Reason I ask is, the place I'm looking at, (Online Metals) has a much larger selection of tubing in C101 than in C122.
Zee,
I guess I'm showing my age but back before the emergence of on-line metals sources, when I went to my local pipe & supply to beg a crust of copper tube, I would generally only find tube in C122 and plate in C110. C101 would have to be ordered and therefore would be more costly, typically because I'd be required to buy a full length, and it would take longer to get. I'm not a metalurgist but so far as I know those are the only reasons C101 isn't used interchangeably with C110 for model boiler work. Now that on-line sources are the order of the day I don't suppose the foregoing is of any consequence any more. TEL is correct that C101 is the alloy used for electrical components and I also think it is required for some manufactured items and welded copper applications.
So basically, is C101 okay for a boiler?
My answer has to be, assuming there is no appreciable difference in cost or availability, I don't know of any reason why it wouldn't be.
For small models, what would be typical OD? or ID?
OD, because we will mostly be offered tube and as you have (or soon will) discovered US standard copper plumbing tube is 1/8" over nominal OD size. This puts some of us (those who build to locos to British designs) at a disadvantage because most British designs call for actual dimension OD tube and historically copper tube in increments of 1/8" could be had in the UK. As for typical sizes, that would depend . . . US Gauge 1 live steamers typically use 2" tube but beyond that I can't say there is a typical size as everything is dependant and varies upon scale, gauge, and prototype.
What about a boiler? Say big enough for a 3.5" loco.
I'm not sure what you are after here, so I'm going to throw out what comes to mind - tube gauge or thickeness. There are a number of formulae from several respected sources (Greenly, Harris, Evans, Hiraoka) which set out the mechanical design guidelines for model boilers, one of which is the thickness or gauge of the shell/barrel for a given diameter. A phenomenon of copper boiler shell design is that as boiler OD increases for a given working pressure, so must wall thickness increase in order to retain a given safety factor.

For instance, if you had a boiler with a 3" nominal OD shell to be run at 100psi, the minimum wall thickness (according to the formulae) might need to be say .080" (my quick guess.) But if the shell OD was increased to 4", all else being the same including working pressure, the .080" wall would be insuficient to retain the same factor of safety and would need to be increased, say to .095". Also, the practical pressure limit for copper model boilers of any size or wall thickness has been found to be about 125psi. Above that pressure the temperature of steam begins to reduce the tensile strength of copper to a point where it can no longer retain the required factor of safety.

In the US copper tube will be supplied in one of four wall thicknesses, Type K, L, M, and DWV. You can see the differences in the Copper.Org web pages. Very generally speaking, Type DWV is too thin-walled to be safe for any live steam application and should never be considered. Type K on the other hand is always overly heavy for boiler work thus its much higher cost is not repaid in increased performance or greater safety. That leaves Types L and M. I personally always use Type L as it not only always exceeds the required formulaic thickeness per diameter but it gives me a good stiff structural base to attached bushings and other things to. Type M on the other hand runs a little thin with respect to the formulae although it is usually sufficiently thick to meet the pressure and safety requirement for a given size. In small boilers Type M walls can be a bit thin and will tend to flex or dent more easily than Type L. That's not a deal-killer but if I send a boiler to someone I don't want to get a phone call asking "Wot's this dent doin' in me boiler?"
Brass tubing/piping seems less expensive. What about that?
Brass is inappropriate, and dangerous, for the structural components of model boilers due to the phenomenon of dezincification. Fittings and attachments in brass while not preferred can be used because they can be removed and replaced if needed.
Am I thinking too hard?
No. You are thginking a lot (a good thing) because there is a lot to learn, but not too hard.

That was a fascinating and educational read.
Thanks for taking the time. Very much appreciated. :bow:

Zee,
You're very welcome. Please feel free to ask anything at any time and one of us will eventually respond. The above represents my experience and the standard of practice that has served live steam well for decades. Things change, technology marches forward, interpretations and expriences vary, so from time to time I would expect to get differing opinions ort experinces on the same questions.

Harry, thanks again for the info! The place I'm looking at has C101 tubing cheaper than C122 for the same sample size and wall thickness.

zeeprogrammer said:
Dean: you're looking where I'm looking. SpeedyMetals has C110.

I was looking at Onlinemetals.com, Zee. Their selection of C101 tubing is about twice as large as the
tubing sizes offered in C122.

Dean

Latest posts

Back