Vise suggestions for Sherline mill?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazylathe

Reaction score
Greetings fellow members!

I am looking for some suggestions for a vise for my milling machine.
It came with a pretty bad one that is functional in the only aspect that it resembles a vise! The jaws are about as parallel as a mountain road and as horizontal as the horizon appears from a small boat in the centre of a hurricane!

I know that Sherline sells a well made vise but was wondering if there are any of you out there that have found something better or just more practical.

Thanks!

Andrew

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Screwless-Vis...rmsZalgo=LVI&itu=UCI&otn=3&ps=63#ht_732wt_940

These are two of the vises I use on mine. I also have a larger screwless vise... but the smaller screwless in this set is the vise I use most often, the toolmaker's vise seeing a lot of bench use.
The seller does NOT communicate, but he ships quickly, and the vises really ARE square within .0002" like he says. When I got the vises, after the no-reply thing, I was ready to leave a negative feedback and grind them myself, but, they're actually really good.

The only thing i've done to the screwless, was to change out the dowel pin for a longer one, so that I can slide it out of the side holes when changing sizes. It was made with a short pin, to hook in bottom grooves, but I prefer the long through-pin style and did my vise shopping LOOKING for a vise with side holes, and clamping grooves all the way around the body.

I had to limit the size of the vise I use, because my Sherline is in an enclosure, and i didn't want to worry about the vise limiting my travel, or running into anything. When I use the toolmaker's vise, or my larger screwless, I mount them sideways on the mill table.

You can also see a similar 2" screw-less vise from LittleMachineShop.com that'll work on the Sherline mill. I bought this one myself :)

480.1590.jpg

Check it out.

Mike

I have one of the 2" screwless vises like shown in the FeeBay link above. My Taig mill is not much bigger than your Sherline. I could not be happier with the vise. It's square and setup on my table is a snap. Holds strong too.

The first time I set it up I was praying the thing was square. Placed the vice. Loosely set one clamp, squared it to the table with a 100 year old Browne and Sharp machinist square. Secured, ran an indicator across the fixed jaw. Perfect.

The only grump I have with it is the pin. You have to be careful when changing the position of the movable jaw. Otherwise I love the thing. I got mine from JTS machinery and it was a bit less expensive than the one from 800Watt.

Twmaster said:
The only grump I have with it is the pin. You have to be careful when changing the position of the movable jaw. Otherwise I love the thing. I got mine from JTS machinery and it was a bit less expensive than the one from 800Watt.

Yeah, I didn't like the short pin either. I changed it for a full-width pin, and avoid blocking the holes on both ends of the holes when clamping the vise.
JTS, eh? I'll check them out. Thanks for the tip.

Vise 025.JPG

Thanks for the tips guys!
Vernon, i sent that guy an email on ebay and he actually responded within a day!

I think i will most likely go with his vises as they are quite a bit cheaper that the Sherline one!

Love the look of your mill Vernon!!
Looks like you have upgraded it quite a bit...

JTS had the best price. They even have 10% off if you order on a Tuesday. I've also bought a couple things from 800Watt. I am shocked they replied at all, yet alone in a day...

;D

lazylathe said:
Thanks for the tips guys!
Vernon, i sent that guy an email on ebay and he actually responded within a day!

I think i will most likely go with his vises as they are quite a bit cheaper that the Sherline one!

Love the look of your mill Vernon!!
Looks like you have upgraded it quite a bit...
:eek: Wow, I emailed him about 5 times before buying a vise, and once afterwards. Never did get an answer. Maybe he finally read all his negative feedback about communication.
Still, his vice had the widest jaw and the largest opening that I could find in an overall length that'd clear my mill's enclosure. If I'd made the enclosure myself I'd have added a few inches inside.... and a shape that'd control flood coolant :D
The add-on mill table was fun to make, just a spacer to clear the stepper mounts, and a t-slotted plate. It worked out well, flat within .0003 in X and .0002 in Y, except for the front inch of the table, which drops off .001 for some reason.
plate013.jpg

pics005.jpg

Latest posts

Back