• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold: Sherline Lathe & Mill

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rodbuilder

Reaction score
I have a Sherline 5400 mill and 4400 Lathe and most of my machining tools with it. It was bought in 2008 and used some but not much, see bottom of post after items list. I am listing the major items that I can think of right now and will add to the list when I get home and add Pictures.

Lathe
4400 3.5" x 17" Lathe
1040 3.1" 3-jaw Self-centering Chuck
A2Z Quick Change Tool Post and holders
1191 Live Center
1074 Steady Rest

Mill
5400 Deluxe Vertical Milling Machine
1297 Headstock Spacer Block
3551 Milling vise
3072 1/4" Jacobs Drill Chuck w/ #1 Morse Arbor, Key and Drawbolt
1069 3/8" Jacobs Drill Chuck w/ Arbors, Key and Drawbolt
3013 Step Block Hold-down Set
3700 4" Rotary Table
3750 Tilting Angle Table
3079 3/8" End Mill Holder
3054 Boring Head (3049 metric)
3052 Fly Cutter w/ 1/4" Carbide Cutting Tool
3100 Thread-cutting Attachment
L
I am do not even know what to ask for this package so I am kind of leaving at that, if I need to I can put a price on it. I am just looking for a decent buy out, not maximum value but not an insult either. Also I would rather sell it as a lot rather than piece it out. However I may be willing to break it up into a lathe and Mill set. Just PM me with any questions.

Here is why.
I bought all the tools right after my first child was born, BAD idea. I then moved and had another child. I have not really had the space for the last two years to work. So what I have been doing is pulling it out setting it up and getting 1-2 days use then packing it up. This is not working, I wish I could continue but I think I am going to continue to get more frustrated. I hope to one day pick the hobby back up but right now I just can’t and I am getting ready to pack them up for many years or sell them. So I have decided I am going to let them go.

Last edited:
Shame you have to sell.
Whats your location?
Not address. Just city or state, even the country would be helpfull. Cheers.

I got into machining when my son was almost old enough to help me set up shop. I have one kid and 5 lathes.

Of course the Kid is 23 now and that has challenges of its own at times.

IMHO do not give up on your dream . sherline tools do not take a lot of room and if kept dry will keep. and years from now when you are ready to get back into it they will likely be a lot more money than what you can sell them for now.
They take up little space you can build a machine shop in a couple boxes . 1 for the mill one for the lathe and a tool box. and they do not eat anything or consume energy just sitting.
I play a stringed instrument called a dulcimer. I purchased it around 1982 it probably sat for 25 years before I took the time to learn to play more than just one tune.
Yes there are times to let go and one cannot hang on to everything.So your choice to make. I wish I had the recipe for shop motivation . I guess it goes to the old Yoda quote from the old Star Wars movies DO or DO NOT there is NO TRY.
Tin

I have kept them for the past two years and when I think I am putting them up for years. i just pull them back out and tinker and the problem starts again I just know the right decision for me right now.

I have kept them for the past two years and when I think I am putting them up for years. i just pull them back out and tinker and the problem starts again I just know the right decision for me right now.

Hi RodBuilder.
Gus builds custom fishing rod for fun too.
Kids,
When my first child came and when started crawling and about to climb up on to chairs and table,I gave up radio/amplifier/elctronics building. Further down the line--------15 years later,electronics went too faraway for Gus to catch up.If I had contiinue building/repairing radios,the chances would be one of babies would have been electrocuted.The three room flat was to small,with no spare room to put in my hobby stuffs.Today I have a bigger flat but again no room for a mini machine shop.The balcony was a good location but three sides open to elements. Other than the dampness,the rain water did no bother me too much.Rust kept at bay with WD 40.
Fortunately lathes and mills will remain w/o too much evolution.
No worries.Bring the children first. The hobby will fall in years later.

Gus Teng,now grandfather of two Aussie kids.

I play a stringed instrument called a dulcimer. I purchased it around 1982 it probably sat for 25 years before I took the time to learn to play more than just one tune.

Hammer or mountain? I built a couple mountain dulcimers, and learned to make recognizable noises on it, but not what I called music. I built a hammer dulcimer which has sat in a corner for probably 25 years now. If I could find a deserving young person into music Id give it to him/her

I love the sound of the hammer dulcimer- trivia point- it was one of Henry Fords favorite instruments, and the Ford Museum has a room full of them.

This forum can sure wander around the topics.:)

Here are the pictures as you can see there are a few more things included on original post.
Starrett No.98 level
1" Stroke dial Indicator
Magnetic base indicator holder
Dial test indicator
Scissor Knurler with (2) sets Knurls
Set of parallel
Lathe Back plate
lathe dog
Tool post height Gage
Some small pieces of material

c6488105-0efe-4c1c-a47b-368f6f979c5b.jpg

cd1e67d0-a9af-4d03-a4cc-116aab5215d1.jpg

2.jpg

@ ron mountain dulcimer. I have been wanting to buy or make another. the one I have is a classic made by john maxwell. beautiful Piece but the frets are misplaced. the wife complains I play the wrong notes.
As far as looking for a home for the hammered dulcimer go to http://www.everythingdulcimer.com/ the forum used to very active a bunch of really nice people. I am a member but not a very active one. They offer tabature music of many hymns and popular old time tunes in there download area. . They can help you learn if you want to. Kind of like here post an inroduction make a couple friends and you are in. You can probably find a teacher who has a deserving student. That wll pay shipping handling and buy you a new tool.
Tin

Do wacha gotta do, bro. I think selling is a good way if your not planning on keeping up with it. Your kids will inevitably get curious at some point. especially boys. I remember accidentally drilling through my dads rotary table when I was 7 or so. I fessed up when I was 22 and still thought I was going to get the belt.

Do wacha gotta do, bro. I think selling is a good way if your not planning on keeping up with it. Your kids will inevitably get curious at some point. especially boys. I remember accidentally drilling through my dads rotary table when I was 7 or so. I fessed up when I was 22 and still thought I was going to get the belt.

Hi Wagon,
Seven year old kid will be forgiven due to in-experience.
Service Manager had an urgent repair job which required drilling a 3/4" hole which could not be done on his 13mm drill press.Came over to borrow my then brand new 72" Radial Arm. He asssured he can handle my radial drill as he has worked on bigger radials.Mine was a baby.(Bad P.R.):wall::wall:

Job done.He is happy .Gus is not.This 55 year old kid drilled a 3/4" hole into the table. He had the cheek to deny.:wall::wall:
Fine with me. His entire department was hence banned from borrowing any machine tools. Long story.Happened in 1981.

Come 1991. The GM came over to personally request permission for the same department to borrow same drill for another urgent repair job. Another hole drilled on the table.The GM paid for both holes to be plugged to my satisfaction. He chewed up the SM. Ha Ha.:):)

Gus Teng.

Wow, I thought this was a 'For Sale' thread, not the 'General Chat' section :shrug:

Thanks, I forgot that and it is needed. USA-Mississippi

Thanks for that. Thats me out already :D (Australia)
Cheers too for the photo's.
Good luck with the sale.

Obviously only you know what is right to do for you, but consider this life takes turns in surprising directions, space may not be an issue next year or the year after. Speaking of kids, it won't be too long before they get to the age where they might develop an Interest in tools or hobbies using those tools. Again life moves at a fast pace.

There are ways around the space issue that are easy to configure with small machines like Sherlines. You can build or buy a cabinet to do double duty, with your tools sitting on a board in the cabinet when not in use, It is pretty common for wood workers, with space constrained shops, to mount tools on boards that can then be placed on a cabinet when needed. Your setup time is then near zero. There are plenty of other ideas out there to deal with the space issue and in your case the security issue with little kids.

Again it is up to you but I'd not be quick to dispose of tools. The voice of experience is in that statement, as I've kicked my self in the behind several times after getting rid of tools that i thought I no longer had a need for. Back in the day, in a couple of cases, it was for the same space issue you highlight. Sadly tools for the most part don't get cheaper over the years, even hard iron Chinese tools are increase in price rather rapidly. The only cases where it has gotten better is with electronics.

If I were you, and needed to sell them, I would take picures of each and sell them individually on ebay. You'll get more money for them individually thatn by the kit. Sorry you have to sell. If you could hold on for another 3-5 years, then things with your family life will have changed enough to give you time in the shop.

Good Luck!

Ronald.

Just to throw in my $0.02 worth. That long bed lathe with all that tooling would be murder to replace years down the road. I think the lathe is over $1,000 now, which is more than double what I paid for my long bed Sherline a little over 10 years ago. speaking of no space, when I got married and lived in an apartment, I had a pretty good little wood working shop I stored in a closet under the stairs. I remember hauling things out to the front steps to work. The equipment had to be swept off and hauled in every time when finished. I got more work done on the front steps than I do in my big shop now.
If you still desire to build stuff in metal, I would hold on to the equipment and live with the inconvenience until the kids get older.
The idea of a cabinet to store the equipment in with removable wooden shelves is a good one. You could mount the lathe to a shelf and take the whole shelf out when you want to use the tool. Same goes for the mill.
Only you can decide what's best for you, but I hear a lot of "I wish I still had" stories when people see my shop.

Good luck to you and your family.
-Bryan Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back