Valve movement on a Poppin

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chucketn

Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I have just finished and assembled my second engine, a Poppin Flame Licker engine. It's rough as a cob, but I hope to get it running. Once it runs, I'll add the bling. This has been a very good learning project. I found ways to get so much more out of my available tools.
I varied somewhat from plan, adapting to materials on hand. I made the valve gear like Byrne(wizardofwood) did.
My problem is the valve, made from .002" feeler gage, only uncovers about half of the intake port. I think I need to trim the low side of the cam to get the valve rod to pull the valve down more. The cam moves a hard drive bearing screwed to the end of the valve rod as a cam roller. The cam on the "Poppin" plan is basically .5" rad for 110° on the high or valve shut side, and falls back to .300" on the open or low side. I measured with calipers that the cam needs to be .546" rad on the high side and .262" on the low side. Is this kind of fudging common in engine building?

Chuck in E. TN

Chuck, In my experience there is always "fudging" to do. Most projects I do from plans require a bit of redesign to better suit my capabilities, materials, and pocketbook.

I say, if it works, there is no question weather you did the "Right" thing or not. Figuring things out is half the fun.

Kel

PS, th_wwp

Back