Used Bridgeport

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benster

Reaction score
Howdy all, I'm in the process of purchasing my first mill. See the pics. My budget is around $2k and I just saw this mill locally. It's only $1800 compared to the dovetail head bridgeports which are around $3k-$4k. I'm going to look at this mill in person in a couple days and pending the condition of the ways/screws/oiling system is this a solid first purchase at that price? The alternatives are the Grizzly g0704 or saving my money for the more expensive bridgeports, keeping in mind that I still need to buy tooling.

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender_1.jpg

Howdy all, I'm in the process of purchasing my first mill. See the pics. My budget is around $2k and I just saw this mill locally. It's only $1800 compared to the dovetail head bridgeports which are around $3k-$4k. I'm going to look at this mill in person in a couple days and pending the condition of the ways/screws/oiling system is this a solid first purchase at that price? The alternatives are the Grizzly g0704 or saving my money for the more expensive bridgeports, keeping in mind that I still need to buy tooling.

You will only know if it is worth it upon inspection. That is a rather old mill and frankly I'm not sure I'd pay that much for it. I've seen newer generations go for $1800.

I just purchased a round ram mill with a J head very clean but a little stiff x and y from being in storage for many years. I paid $500. that was a bargain, Sold my Burke millrite for $1400, I guess it depends on your location but that is a no more then $1100 in So. California. I did not have the power feed on the X but I would rather not have it and put my own on, I just put on xyx DRO for the mill and really like it.

That is a bit stiff by about 3x for that age.. unless it is like new now wear ect.
I don't know where you are located.

Typically, an old mill that has had one of those heavy boat anchors, hanging off the end of the table, has a bowed table. Yes, cast iron does move, with age!
Parts are not available for the feed unit. Crank the table all the way to the end of travel, left and right and look at the screw for wear in the center.
Check to see how far you have to swing the hand crank handle back and forth to make the table move. Do the same for the saddle crank.
There are a lot of things to check, gib adjustment, ect.
I see the motor has been changed on it, it has a larger motor.
Has it been changed to single phase?
Good luck.

Started working with Bridgeports in January 1970, they were all dovetail rams, so the round ram is a pretty old mill. Looks like it hasn't been looked after very well. There will certainly be a lot of wear in the centre of the X screw, the nuts can be nipped up to compensate, but it will end up tight on the ends. May need a major overhaul to make it any good, if it was me, I would keep looking.

Paul.

Thanks for the advice, I passed on mill and ended up getting a g0704 and some tooling. Might go with a Bridgeport in the future when my budget allows.

Latest posts

Back