Understanding wife

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe d

Reaction score
SWMBO suggested that I go with her this morning on a short shopping expedition. As usual, I said "sure" and got in the car. Off we go to the local Sears, whereupon says herself: "pick a tool out of all this stuff that's on sale"... so I now have a shiny new 1 hp / 7 gal Craftsman compressor.

I surely do like having a wife who understands ;D

Joe

You must have been good and behaved yourself.......and then you got a treat!

Yes, it's great :bow: (one for the ladies). I cannot say Galina understands or that she wants to understand anything about our hobby...........but she does not stand in my way if I say I need item X. This is actually very clever politics as how can I then complain about the necessities of a ladies life ??? (which are many and varied).

Best Regards
Bob

As the old quote goes

- There is no such thing as a free lunch -
Hmmm, My cynical side tells me there is a jewelry sale coming up. Keep your head down :hDe: and censor the sales fliers.

Just kidding, I too enjoy the luxury of an understanding wife.
Congratulations and enjoy. Thm:

Cheers
Phil

Majorstrain said:
As the old quote goes

- There is no such thing as a free lunch -
Hmmm, My cynical side tells me there is a jewelry sale coming up. Keep your head down :hDe: and censor the sales fliers.

Took the "letters" right out of my keyboard. There's a saying here in Portugal "When the charity is big, the poor man usually suspects", pardon my translation :big: :big: :big:

Noitoen said:
Took the "letters" right out of my keyboard. There's a saying here in Portugal "When the charity is big, the poor man usually suspects", pardon my translation :big: :big: :big:

Mate your translation is good..... as an Aussie we are known for optimistic outlooks (the glass is usually half full), therefore I would suggest that said wife is simply an understanding caring individual.

Did I mention that as an Aussie we are often disappointed?

Thought for the day... Always borrow money from a pessimist....... they dont expect to get paid back......

She sounds like a very nice lady, Joe.

Turnabout is fair play, as they say. Ask her to go to a tool store with you sometime, and tell her to pick out something.

(Just kidding!)

A baby sitter and a nice dinner out is in order!

Dean

Bob, after building that beautiful house for the wife, I bet you could buy a few tools without any problems. You should be able to ride on that for quite some time. ;D ;D

Deanofid said:
A baby sitter and a nice dinner out is in order!

Dean

She got the dinner out last night. Since my youngest is 23, I think he'd want way to much input on the selection of the baby-sitter.... :big: :big:

She's been spoiling me rotten for 28 years now, I picked a good'un!

Joe

One morning a few months ago, my wife said she sure would like a new laptop. We already had a pretty nice one so we both knew it would be somewhat frivolous. Thinking fast, I said I was thinking I needed a mini mill to go with my metal lathe. Out of the blue, there you go. I had it ordered before the day was out and she had a new laptop from Fry's. And here I am, in this forum. Thm:

Plus, the laptop cost much more than the mill, so I still have some capital.

I've been told the only free lunch is in the mousetrap. If you are the second mouse....

Santa brought this on the 18th of Dec it has sat in the dinning room since while I sort out the workshop.
I think my wife also came from under the Christmas tree ;D

milling machine 004.jpg

I told my wife over the weekend I need some tools for my machining needs. She says "OK buy them". I say "It's pretty expensive." She says "Well, you need them, right?" Should I feel guilty spending money then?

dieselpilot said:
I told my wife over the weekend I need some tools for my machining needs. She says "OK buy them". I say "It's pretty expensive." She says "Well, you need them, right?" Should I feel guilty spending money then?

Do you really need them?

If your answer is yes, then don't feel guilty.

Order them, and when they come in make sure you let here know how much YOU appreciate HER!

-MB

Last month my wife made that observation that nowadays Santa comes in a big brown truck.

Jack

It seems there are a lot of lucky men in this room and I am also happy to say my wife is wonderful as well. I won’t talk about the countless hours spent in the shop doing what I do taking time from the family, and vary rarely do I get a complaint. I have been working on a finger brake for are high school and it has consumed all my weekend time and most of the 2 weeks I took off for the holidays. Has she complained, no and last Saturday night she was in the shop with me till 10:00pm. I was doing some fitting of parts and she was running the mill removing excess material on some of the remaining parts. A few years ago she asked me what I wanted for my birthday or fathers day, I joking said a dro from dro pros. She looked in the history on the computer found what I was looking at and with the help of a machinist friend in San Diego I came home from work and found a box with a new dro waiting for me to install. I find sometimes this hobby can be vary time consuming I swear I will go into the shop on a Friday morning and before I know it its 2 in the afternoon. I think this board should add a thread for garage widows as my wife likes to call her self and on the other side of the coin she will say at least he’s home and not sitting in a bar!!!!!

My wife can be TOO understanding at times.
If I blow up a tool, or even a machine, within 3 days a new one is
being delivered with no prior notice to me.

There is the flip side.
Occasionally, I'd come home from work on a Friday evening and say,
I'm going down the shop to unwind for awhile. The reply would be:
"Yeah, go ahead, have fun, what do you want for breakfast Monday morning?"
That meant I'd be spending the weekend pushing shopping carts and holding
her purse while she's trying on clothes in the mall.

I'm not complaining!
Anytime one of those macho guys looks at me funny for standing there holding
a purse, I just put it up over my shoulder and wink at them.
They quickly move along, and I'm thinking I might get a new lathe out this
ordeal!
Rof}

Rick

I've been looking for a lathe to add to my home 'shop' for a while, and had decided to get one from Harbor Freight, and scavenge tooling over the next few months.
After some discussion with my wife about it, she's "talked me into" a Sherline lathe, tooling, and everything I'll need to convert it to CNC like my mill. Finally I'll be able to get back to my Cracker locomotives.

Lathe on order soon...

Oh yeah, yesterday was my birthday. She even brought me a present. ;D
birthday003.jpg

Happy Birthday
I like whats under the candle, thats better than a birthday cake Thm:
All the best Dave Bick

Latest posts

Back