Turbocad help - pleeeeeease!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tel

Reaction score
This is driving me nuts!

Been playing with Turbocad again after letting it lie fallow for a while, and I believe I'm getting somewhere, BUT.......

I'm having trouble with dimensioning objects, say a line, or circle.F'rinstance, I draw a circle of 1" diameter, select the dimensioning tool, click on the circle and the proper dimension shows up, however, when I settle the position and do the second click the dimension adds quite a bit to itself - 0.6 in the 1" just described. This off dimension is pretty consistent regardless of whether it is a line, circle or arc being dimensioned. I must be doing something wrong - but what?????

View attachment ScreenHunter_1.bmp

View attachment ScreenHunter_2.bmp

I'm not familiar with Turbocad but with other cad programs I have used, similar problems have been caused by not having the line weights set right, the dimension sets on the inside and then when you click it it moves to the outside adding the thickness of the lines. Try resetting the line weights to a "thinner" amount like .001.

Hi Tel,
Which version of turbocad do you have ? Have you got grid snap turned on, if so whats the grid spacing, it looks like its on in the screen capture.
Rob

I wonder if it's some quirk in the way you've set your Precision/Round off settings in the Units/Tolerance screen in Properties?

I thought I had screwed up everything that could possibly be screwed up in TC but that's a new one on me. It's always some simple thing that accidently got changed. I've had to uninstall/reinstall a couple of times to fix a silly problem.

You are selecting the diameter dimensioning tool and not the ortho tool, right?

I've been struggling with 3D lately and have been ready to throw the computer out the window several times.

LN - got the line thickness set at '0' and it makes no difference.

RW - V7 Pro is the version and yes, grid snap is on, grid spacing in the examples is 0.5"

DB - That's what I thought as well, but I've tweaked all the settings with no effect. Yep, that was set for the diameter dimension, but the same thing happens with a line when I go to ortho or parallel.

I haven't even started to look at 3D yet.

tel,

Make sure select info palette is open. Click on your circle and look at metrics in the select info panel, where it should show object type - circle, radius and the major and minor radii all of which should be 0.5"

Next check drawing set up and make sure that under space units everything is consistent i.e. all inches and that your precision is set to 3.

As far as I am aware line thickness has no bearing on dimensions.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards
Bob

tel,

One other thing, precision and round off in dimension units/tolerance should be set to the same factor or odd things can occur.

e.g. precision 4 round off 0.0001.

Hope this helps

Best Regards
Bob

tel,

Try unchecking the append tolerance.

Best Regards
Bob

Hi Tel - a shot in the dark: try to turn off "snap to grid" before adding the measurements.

Regards, Arnold

tel,
Maybe because the angle resolution is set to whole degrees.

You can resolve it to show 1" if you lower the precision and round off but it still should not do that; or you can explode the dimension and edit the text, again not ideal.

Attached is what I meant by metrics.

Just when I wanted to see if I could emulate your problem, my copy of TC7 as well as Quickcad have both done a runner. ??? ::) ??? ::)

Best Regards
Bob

TC.jpg

tel,

Uncheck associative dimension. Also check the properties of the viewport in page/paper mode. The paper/page will resolve to the best size to fit the view created for it unless you set the paper/page to a fixed resolution eg 1:1. If the dimension is associated then maybe it is changing to reflect the circle size difference between model space and paper space.

Hope we are at the bottom of the problem am waiting with baited breath. ;D

Best Regards
Bob

Nope, that didn't do anything either, but at least it's consistently working OK in 'model', changing in 'paper'

Bugger,

I don't know what else to suggest, got to be something in the set up but what ???

Sorry tel,

Best Regards
Bob

S'orrite Bob - thanks for trying - you have given me some more insight into the program at least, and every little bit helps.

Latest posts

Back