Trying to take apart a vise for a good cleaning...

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C.BRAXMAIER

Reaction score
I got this vise for nothing, now i want to clean it up alittle, but i can not get the lead screw out ive tried to punch out the pin but they are moving, any sugetions would be great..

My vise has tapered pins, I can only punch them out in one direction. Maybe it's like that?

Without pictures it's hard to even start explain how to take it apart. The link you provided is bad.

I will try this again..

v1.JPG

Mr C Braxmaier,

I am fairly well convinced that the shaft is held on with the round bush at the base of the square drive. It looks like you've found the taper pin that is holding it on.

As was noted that pin will only come out 1 way....Can you get a good photograph of the ends of the pins?

I may be able to advise if the damage isn't too bad.

Once that pin is out, you will arrive at two choices....the bush slides right off? or The bush is threaded onto the shaft and will need to be unscrewed.....I'm betting on the later.

When banging out a taper pin, make sure your driving from the small side, and the other end has somewhere to go....

Dave

Latest posts

Back