Top Fuel replica engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From post number one.

My forte is building things from steel with a welder and grinder, machining something from scratch amazes me. I see it as a challenge.
Some folks who come here with 20 or more years machining experience. Some come out of curiosity some come with a dream and little machining knowledge.
It is all good .

A guy like George Luhrs spent his working life in his own basement machine shop. so easy transition. Even a guy with 20 years working for one of the big 3 in Detroit will need time and money to set up his own shop if he has not already done so. ( For those who do not know Detroit Michigan was THE US city best know for building cars engines and components for cars)

As for the big 3 Patience Perseverance and Perspiration !!!

Patience : It is going to take time and hobby resources.

Perseverance: Push thought the obstacles be creative. Ask questions.
One part at a time one step at a time. Take the next step repeat.

Perspiration:This will take a lot of work to complete and even get to the point of starting a v-8.

Tin

Hello guys and thanks for all of the replies, much appreciated is your time and knowledge.

I am not in any way off put by the thought of countless hours of trial and error, as someone mentioned that it is quite wise to thrash out a design on paper or pixels to get a feel for the item. Even it's matching counterparts. I am somewhat handy at solving problems BUT i'm no engineer, just a practical person with a hankering for mechanical design.

Dragon_fire I thinks mentioned/asked what tooling I have....sad to say but I am starting from scratch, basic workshop tools like a bench drill but no Nitro burning beastie has ever stemmed from a drill press ( a 5 axis cnc millis a very fancy bench drill).

Practice practice practice will no doubt be my mantra until I become proficient in the dark art of model engineering, I will find some books on machining principals.

Now to ask a local full scale nitro racer if they have any old bits they no longer need :)

Twin

1) Have fun.

2) Follow that dream
a turn that dream into a vision and a goal.
b) break the goal into workable pieces and steps.

3) only you can blaze the trail/ path before you and choose the forks in that path.

4) we can give all the advice in the world but you need to choose what advice to accept and what not to. The proverbial separation of wheat from tares.
5) and remember I tell people this is easy . Any 5 year old can do this, with 10 years experience.
6) IMHO you have the right attitude and realist outlook.

7) sometimes the want to is the most important thing.
you can not replace aptitude or attitude and they are hard things to teach.

8 ) we can teach you the how and why things are done but you need the motivation. But Looks like that is in place.
9) Hope this helps.

Tin

Back