Tools you made as an apprentice thread

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys
This is the "Tools you made as an apprentice thread" thread ;D
Would like some ideas for things to make that would be useful for my apprenticeship (sorry im milking the apprenticeship thing a bit lately ::) )

Post away! tho pics preferred. Im thinking things along the lines of tap wrenches etc but you get the idea.

some exercises I can remember are

cut a square piece of plate steel with nothing more than a hack saw
make a round bar square with a hammer and cold chisel
make a square bar round with a file.
made a pair of set squares
made an open end spanner
and at the end of first year we made a tension wrench.
was second year before we went anywhere near a machine. then about 6 months of turning test peces from cast steel for testing in the met lab.

must have been heaps of others but slips the mind just now, give me a break. it was 30 odd years ago.

Tom r

Here are a few tools that I made as an apprentice over 40 years ago.

IMG_2270.jpg

A pair of small toolmaker clamps, the triangle things are what we called setting squares. One 90/45 deg, and the other 60/30 deg, they are made out of 1/4" thick gauge plate and I spent weeks filing them until the boss was happy with the result, the angles had to be perfect. They were then hardened and ground all over, so much for all that filing!!! The setting squares would have had to be the most used item, very handy. The other item is a grinding vice, almost always only used on a surface grinder, small pieces could be held and ground on 2 edges without removing from the vice, always square that way. The V block was another item in regular use.

Paul.

Things I can remember

Set of 6" calipers, inside outside and jenny.

4" toolmakers clamp.

3" vice.

16" face plate from a casting.

Cylindrical square.

6" x 1" ground mandrel.

What do I still have................. the jenny caliper, the toolmakers clamp and the cylindrical square

Best Regards
Bob

Latest posts

Back