• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Tool Post grinder for a Myford ML7

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill East

Reaction score
Hello people
I am looking for plans etc for a tool post grinder that will be used for model aircraft piston and liners.

Recently I was communicating with Frazer( Fcheslop) about tool and cutter grinder projects and suggested that a wood router had been used in the Brooks design ( MEW16 and 17).
My setup is quite archaic and uses a Bosch POF 50 with a 43 mm collar.
However, I trust that your Myford ML7 will still hold tenths of thous as there seems to be little purpose to try to grind to fine limits with sloppy slides and feed screws. You will note that there is a considerable correspondence on lapping as a alternative.
I hope that this is constructive

Cheers

Norman

Many thanks to Goldstar31 and Charles Lamont for your suggestions. My lathe is in quite a good condition and suffered only minor damage compared to the mill in the moving process. My parents purchased it from a classified ad for my 12th Birthday. Many parts for model aircraft have been made on the Myford including the whole front end for high-performance power models, I will, however, check the Cross-Slide, etc. before making a decision.
The Hemingway grinder seems very large and appears cumbersome, almost out of place on a Myford. The router idea, however, has some merit that I will pursue.

Bill, I think you will be disappointed trying to make model diesel( my assumption) pistons and liners by tool post grinding. It just isn't going to happen with hobbyists grade machinery. The fits are too critical and the dimension control is not nearly good enough.
Lapping with diamond abrasives allows you to sneak up on the correct fit and also leave the correct surface finish. Homemade laps are easy to make on the lathe and diamond lapping compound is not that expensive.

If you are determined to have a tool post grinder for your ML7 , I would suggest making a tool holder for one of the flex shaft handpieces such as those that Foredom makes. They are available up to 1/3 HP and variable speed( essential). The hand pieces are available with collets and have very good ball bearings. No doubt there are various import clones. Foredom is expensive but top of the line quality and will last a lifetime.

WOB

Latest posts

Back