This is my first flame eater !

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my flame eater, but the harder it is to run ( sometime run about 30 second) maybe bore of cylinder is small (14mm) It not enough power to run or valve is not good with fire.

Photo0549.jpg

Photo0550.jpg

Photo0551.jpg

Are your flywheels Aluminium? if so they could be a bit light.

I was looking at the flywheels and thinking they may have been a little light as well. You could always make a rim from steel or bronze/brass and either press or shrink it onto the them for a bit extra weight. If it's running for 30 seconds at a time it can't be too far out from continuous running.

IIf it's running for 30 seconds at a time it can't be too far out from continuous running.

Or cylinder is not cold enough to create vakuum. If the cylinder is allready hot after 30 seconds, It will not run.

Thanks for all informations !!
I had changed everythings :
Increased flywheel weight
Reduce piston weight (brass -> aluminum)
Change valve made of sus 304 (first one made of brass) ...
Replace the part for adjust time of valve opening and closing..
But it is not much improvement. I think only enough vacuum, enough power to run.
I will to make new with the bore of the cylinder bigger

Photo0555.jpg

Photo0556.jpg

Photo0557.jpg

Photo0558.jpg

What fuel are you using for the flame? I found that you need to use a good fuel, i.e. Methylated spirits (ethyl alcohol). I had tried rubbing alcohol (90% isopropyl alcohol) and had disappointing results until I switched to a better burning fuel. You may try with a butane lighter to see if that helps with its running. (I now actually see this listed on Jan's page - item 5).
Mike

Maybe try a bigger lighter;)

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S13wymzV0po[/ame]

I made a small gas burner for my engine so I could run from propane, just a few 0.7mm holes in some 1/8" brass tube

DSC01991_zps56xh7efi.jpg

Seems to work OK on this test run, just needs some paint now. Noise is the exhaust valve opening

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv7xys8xpzs[/ame]

Minh Thanh

You need a big bore and longer stroke to example 25 mm bore and 40 mm stroke to get more power. With big area of piston = more power. With long stroke = enough to suck more hot air into the cylinder before the valve is closed. Then the hot air is cooled down fast as possible with large cooling fins around the cylinder.

Or cylinder is not cold enough to create vakuum. If the cylinder is allready hot after 30 seconds, It will not run.

This is not true. My flame eater needs to warm up before it will run continuously. True that vacuum is created by cooling the ingested hot gasses, but if its too cold the gasses cool before the valve closes, reducing the vacuum developed and hence power.

Latest posts

Back