Things of beauty

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

74Sprint

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Things of beauty, well at least they are to me. I only wish I could make these rods myself. They are GRP CNC'ed machined billet aluminum rods 5.650" big block Chevy and they are for my backup motor encase the Olds big block goes boom. I bought 2 sets of 8 and one set came with bearings. Yes they are used with 90 passes on each. A fellow racer here in Winnipeg, Tom Patterson whom I know along with his wife Dale race in the top sportsman classes around the central division 5. Tom and Dale really look after their stuff and is the only reason I bought the used rods. Had it been anyone else would have said make beer cans out of them. And yes I know turning rods at 7,500 rpm sounds like they should be garbage but, I'm going to be sending them to Alberta to have them cryogenic treated. I have spent the last 2 years researching cryogenic treatment being used in NASCAR and drag racing along with other uses. GRP won't say what their metal mix is but, these rods are supposed to be good up to 3,500 Hp. 2 things that intrigued me was, during cryogenic treatment of aluminum is that it doesn't really strengthen the rod because of aluminum's elasticity, during the treatment the aluminum almost goes back to it's original size, it's off buy about a 0.0005 so not enough to worry about. Even though things like shore testing, compression, and tension testing does not show much improvement but, when the rods are tested in real engines it shows a vast improvement. What was found is that the treatment sort of resets the aluminum back to it's original forged form. Joe Mondello tested cryogenic treated aluminum rods in the Olds Twister 496 CID car and got 1156 passes before one broke. So that's what I'm hoping for after treatment.

web 1 Alu-Rod.jpg
web 2 Alu-Rod.jpg

Ray

Latest posts

Back