Thin line knurling???

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadin

Reaction score
I need to knurl a couple of narrow bands (app. 1/16th) on a piece of 3/8ths round brass.
Unfortunately they need to be incised below the major diameter so I can't just knurl the whole thing and then turn off what isn't needed.
Any ideas or suggestions???

Thx,
Dean

A few things I would have to ask. What type of knurl, straight or cross hatched (that narrow I don't see how you could do a cross hatch) How deep does the knurling have to be as well as the depth below the major diameter. You might be able to make a simple knurling tool using a disposable lighter flint striker machined to the correct width or small gear.
Rex

I think it's supposed to be crosshatched, but I'm willing to take most whatever I can get.
I'm trying to replicate a brass ramrod end from an old Springfield rifle (circa.1875) and it calls for 2 knurled bands to be rolled into the body. (There is a third band, but it stands proud of the body and I can handle that.)

The flint striker sounds like a possibility. I'll see what I can do....

Thanks,
Dean

Rex,
It Worked!! :bow:

This will be just about right for what I'm trying to do.
I probably could get a cleaner cut if I would buy a new lighter with a wheel that's not all scarred up. ;D

Knurl.jpg

I am glad it worked out for you, looks good.
Rex

Oh, that is a great idea using the wheel from a lighter.

I love this site!

:)

Hi,
You may press the edge of a flat file on the job while the clutch of the lathe ( not running!) is disengaged or in high gear, the trick is to drive the piece with the file only, without slip or skid of the file. Very fast, a few seconds in fact, no tool to change or to make, and quite decent results on brass and Aluminium.
Zephyrin

Presse Papier-6.jpg

Presse Papier-4.jpg

Presse Papier-8.jpg

Presse Papier-7.jpg

Now that's a little trick I must try! Thm:

The edge of a file is a great idea, if you are working on the edge of something but if you want some form of accuracy or repeatability you need to have or make tool that can be attached to your lathe or mill.

Good day to you all! Rex

Back