Taper Turning Top Slide

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clockguy

Reaction score
Occasionally in the shop I have to turn a new minute wheel arbor. This is a short pin (usually less than an inch) that has a square base and is threaded to screw into the front plate of the clock. While reading one of John Wilding's books I noticed a reference to a "taper turning top slide" but he says nothing more about it. I would like to make one but can't find anything on Google. I know there are other ways to do the job but I like making tools and this sounds like a fun project. This has nothing to do with the tapering attachment found on many large lathes. It fits on the front of a Sherline or Unimat type lathe and is for small jobs only. If you can help please advise. Cheers, JL

Clockguy your post is confusing , all top slides can be set over for taper turning small lengths , that is a major purpose of the top slide.
You do not require a "special " piece of tooling.

In UK a Top Slide is what we in US is called a compound. I don't think that a unimat has a compound as standard, the photo shows what I'd call a compound..

On larger lathes the Taper Attachment is connected to the crosslide, not the compound, this allows power feed, and much longer tapers, but is limited in the degree of taper you can get 10° is about max.

OK. now I see , I have never come across a lathe with no topslide , where does the toolpost fit ?
I am conversant with taper turning attachments , not having one I set the tailstock over which allows long tapers of up to 5° to be cut using the carriage feed.
this is the compound slide for my Pultra micro lathe
DSCF3521.jpg

As you can see Clockguy , the top slide fits on the crossslide .
A peg underneath locates in a matching hole in the cross slide so that it can be rotated around it's centre point for setting the angle of taper.
The toolpost locates in either of the T slots.
Compound slides for watchmakers lathes can often be found on Ebay at reasonable prices , it may be possible to convert something to fit your lathe rather than making from scratch.
Although not difficult to make getting a smooth action with high precision can be very trying.

Last edited:
Yup standard on many lathes but optional on small hobby units.
Tin

Back