Tap Tool

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff02

Reaction score
Should have made this a long time ago!

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

Very nice! I'm guessing you have different bushings for different size taps?

Bill

You should light up one of those Robustos as a reward for a job well done!

Thanks for the kind words, still need to paint the base.

And Yes to the bushings and cigars.

That is nice and a suggestion.

Instead of different bushings you could make a larger end with all the sizes drilled in a line or circular pattern.

Here is my incarnation of said device:
tpst1.jpg

As you can see,I used a small drill chuck to hold the taps.I don't use it for anything bigger than about 3/16-5mm,as it gets to hard to turn.
I used an old drill base and column shaft,the rest is out of the recycling box.

I'm a minimalist by comparison ;)

DSCF1598.jpg

Only intend to use it for #4 and #6 taps. The sleeve chucks into the drill press. More importantly it doesn't take up what little work space I have.

...It's an ugly derivative of one shown to me on another forum, actually. But it works well, so I don't give a toss how it looks.

Was it this one that gave you the idea Mark?

tap_holder1.jpg

As you say they are dead basic but it does the trick and it also gave me my first shop made tool and was the first time I worked steel in my lathe. I plan on making more for my other sized taps.

Great work Jeff, I'm still on baby steps. I looked at plans to make one like yours but decided my skill level was more suited to the one above.

Yup: credit where due Tony. :)

I'm not on very good terms with steel, so I figured it best not to aggravate myself this early in the game.

For the larger stuff I can get the tap going in the lathe, then take it out and do it by hand in the usual way. This works an absolute treat for set screws, though, so I'm more than glad that you suggested it to me.

Back