Subject

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammers-n-nails

Reaction score
first of all i want to be clear in saying im not an expert on the subject but i can tell you what i know from experiance. the only thing that has been done to the lathe that i use (my dads lathe) besides what you have already mentioned is to parallel the headstock to the bed, his was damaged during shipping, i suspect it was knocked over with a forklift, this is done by turning a large piece of stock about 8" long from one end to the other without using the tailstock and checking for differences in diameter, i found this to be a tedious process but it really shouldnt be neccissary on a new, undamaged lathe as it should be adjusted at the factory. i have heard of lapping the carrage to the bed but i dont know how that is done, or if its absolutly neccissary, some of the other members know alot more about this than i do so they can tell you about that. the other thing i would like to mention is that when you level your machine you should really have a machinists level because the bed, even though it looks like a huge pice of iron that couldnt possibly be twisted, but it can. this probably isnt much help but its all i got.

Go to the Grizzly site, and find a lathe the same or very similar to the one you will be getting.

From that page, you should be able to download the operating manual.

They are about the best written manuals for these import machines you will find, and they should give you a load of advice about levelling and setting the machine up for use.

I think my lathe is similar to yours, but the Chinglese manual that came with it was only useful for hanging in the toilet.

I downloaded a couple of similar manuals from Grizzly and they told me basically everything I needed to know.

Blogs

New_Guy, I just put a post on the chaski forum that is far too long to retype here, And should give you the basics for checking a new lathe. Post is in the General Discussion section on page 3 of a thread titled "stuff needed to get new lathe up and running". My computer skills are somewhat lacking so I don't know how to provide a direct link.

Pete

wow thanks everyone this is a great site thanks for the help

yeah i know how to check the tailstock not to hard and will defiantly do that before using the lathe. as for a manual when i went into buy the lathe i was shown the manual that comes with it and that of another steel master lathe and i was impressed with the information in it but ill go to grizzly soon

now over to that thread..

N G
Looks like you have the info you need but will add my $.02
It is my understanding that the lathes of that size are pretty well cleaned up deburred and adjusted at the factory unlike the little 7 x 10s etc. yes you will likely have to remove the shipping grease. Conrats on your new lathe.
Tin

wow thanks Pete reading that thread was a huge help and i found reading it very easy to understand chears mate

oh DickeyBird i actually had a copy of "Rollie's Dad's Method" it was posted on U-Beaute forum that i am also a member of anyway thanks ill defiantly give it a try to

from reading it seems ISO 68 oil is what i need for inside the gearbox there is a Castrol oil dealer not to far away so ill take a ride out to see them tomorrow (it seems im not going back to have any work this week :p) does anyone have any recommendations on way lube? at the place i was working we used Castrol Magna-glide but that went in the CNC's so i assume it was for the hydraulics, there was other stuff but i cant remember its name ??? so what should i be looking for?

New_Guy,
Your welcome, Think you can see why I didn't want to retype that. With one finger,Looking at the keyboard, And getting everything said in a logical manner, And as clear as I could make it, I spent over 4 hrs. writeing that, Hope it helps you.

Pete

New_Guy said:
....thanks ill defiantly give it a try to
Shouldn't be too "defiant" when workin' with a 12" lathe...a more respectful attitude will help keep all your digits intact. ;) ;D Sorry, just pulling your leg (or takin' the pi$$ depending on which side of the pond you live.)

For way oil; Mobile Vactra 2 works great for me and is pretty cheap from Enco, if you are in the US. Fantastic stuff for hedge clipper blade lube too!

DICKEYBIRD said:
Shouldn't be too "defiant" when workin' with a 12" lathe...a more respectful attitude will help keep all your digits intact. ;) ;D Sorry, just pulling your leg (or takin' the pi$$ depending on which side of the pond you live.)

:p lol my bad

i will pick up the lathe tomorrow and get some HSS blanks, a QCTP parting tool holder and anything else i think of at the time. pic's tomorrow

well me and a mate took a trailer out and picked up the lathe today they used a crane to lift it on the trailer and it was very easy to get home but then the hard part was unloading it with the help of granddad and my next door neighbour we slowly slid it off the trailer on some posts and used pipe rollers to get it into the only clear space that left in the shed and so we didn't have to leave the car outside for god knows how long all in all a good day

im very pleased with my purchase and after i was a little surprised with some of the accessories. it came with all the normal stuff 3 jaw and 4 jaw chucks, face plate, steady and follow rests, toolbox, Alan keys and spanners, oil can, drill chuck with 3rd MT arbor, change gears, 3MT dead center and 5th to 3rd MT sleeve it also came with a quick change tool post with 3 tool holders and a micrometer carriage stop. the mic stop very nice but looks hard to read and the locking is done with a grub screw in a rut on the mic sleeve so there is heaps of slop in the screw but ill fix that . im very happy i got the stand for it, it looks nice and solid but on closer in inspection of the tailstock end cabinet it only has 2 bolt holes for to the floor and i was expecting 4 like the headstock end cabinet, i want to put leveling feet on the cabinets so might drill new holes to make it more stable but ill leave that till latter. latter i need to get a sparky in to put a plug on the lathe and i think it will need a 15amp plug for its final placement so i need to do some thinking as to where its going to finally sit. all in all it looks great with just a few things i can improve before its finally set up to run so ill keep you guys updated.

tomorrow cleaning

almost forgot here is a pic :p
Picture004.jpg

Very nice! One of these days I'd love to upgrade my little 8x16 to something larger like you have.

By the way, if it's your 1st lathe (or even if it's not) be very careful, that big dude can chew you up & spit you out in a flash. We want to see lots of neat projects come out of your shop. ;D

well i got some work done today so ill post some pic's. me and the old bloke from next door knocked up a small 4x4 wall in the back its great im going to hang my tools on it for easy access from the bench under it and the wardrobe at the end meant that i didn't need to make the wall all the way along and there is a small gap so i can get to the back for more storage. i hit a snag after than i have to think more about where the lathe is going to go ill post a pic of the possible locations latter. the shed is still a great huge mess and i didn't really bother to get it all organized after pulling it all out for the day but it should be cleaner after the garage sale the weekend after next :p im hopefully going to get the lathe up early next week i just need to think about its final position and how im going to make the leveling feet, im really not sure about having it sit on the heads of six 18mm bolts :p if anyone has any suggestions as to how i can make them with out a lathe it would be much appreciated

enough talk picture time ;)
garagecleaningup1.jpg

garagecleaningup2.jpg

garagecleaningup3.jpg

garagecleaningup.jpg

Latest posts

Back