Stuart triple expansion steam engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

sanddancer

Hello everyone,

I've just joined, as the first move towards attempting to construct the Stuart triple. I was told that there were some articles in the Model Engineer magazine which may be very useful, if I can find them. Having tried to gain access to the M.E.Index, but being clumsy on a computer I can find nothing. I have access to most back copies thru' my club, but can anyone tell me how I could search out these articles. any help would be gratefully received,

regards,

George

they're out there but off hand dont know specifically the issues. goggle model engineer index.

George,

Welcome.

Try here -

www.itech.net.au/modelengineer/

SEARCH BY - TITLE

SEARCH CRITERIA - STUART TRIPLE

SORT BY - ISSUE

It seems to be a fairly slow search site, so don't hold your breath, maybe 15 mins. But it should throw up what you are looking for.

You might have to try a different criteria, say just STUART or TRIPLE or EXPANSION, as with all these search engines, they can be a bit finnicky.

Hope this helps you on your search.

John

George,

As mcgyver said, a simple google search provides many links to indexes in various formats (exel, msaccess).

The site http://www.colinusher.info/Indexes/meindex.htm has 4 such excel files, covering 1898-2006.

I had a breif search through a couple of these and found the following entries -

Volume Issue Page Category Title Part Author Notes
174 3992 536 Nautical Triple Expansion Marine Engine (Stuart)
Part 1 Doug English
Notes on machining the sole plate, main bearings, column and reversing shaft brackets

174 3994 690 Nautical Triple Expansion Marine Engine (Stuart)
Part 2 Doug English
Machining the guide bar brackets. Cylinder blocks, hp and lp valve chests and covers, cylinder covers, pipe flanges, piston rod glands and guide bars, steam transfer pipes

175 3996 40 Nautical Triple Expansion Marine Engine (Stuart)
Part 3 Doug English
Air and feed pumps, piston rods, pistons, connecting rods and brasses

175 3998 174 Nautical Triple Expansion Marine Engine (Stuart)
Part 4 Doug English
Crankshaft, crank pins, balance weights

175 4000 280 Nautical Triple Expansion Marine Engine (Stuart)
Part 5 Doug English
Eccentric sheaves

175 4002 402 Nautical Triple Expansion Marine Engine (Stuart)
Part 6 Doug English
Remaining valve gear details and eccentric straps. Slide valves and valve gear, drag links, reversing shaft levers

175 4004 532 Nautical Triple Expansion Marine Engine (Stuart)
Part 7 Doug English
Finishing touches. Final stages, piston rings, gland packing and jointing, lagging strips, painting, conclusion.

Hopefully these provide what you were after.

Regards,
Tony.

G'day to all,

many thanks for your help, and Tony in particular, as that is just what I needed. I found the Aussie site at the weekend, but fiddling with pf files & unzipping was confusing. The slowness of the site may have discouraged me, as I thought nothing was happening! As Mc. says, they are out there, it is the "but" that worries me,

regards,

George

Back