Steam boat projects

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhitee93

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
You guys are a horrible influence :)

After watching prallplatte's steam Audi creation a few times I have this strange urge to build something steam powered. I want to finish my Ridder's Stirling before I get too involved with a long term project, but I can draw up some plans for a new project when I'm not in the shop.

What shall it be? I am leaning toward something marine oriented...

Some thoughts:

A model of the USS Monitor (With a simplified engine)
A classic steam launch
A Mississippi paddle-wheeler

What is on your list of boat projects?

I have a lot of RC experience from past hobbies, so I am comfortable with that aspect. However, I've never built a boat before, but in the words of Jeremy Clarkson, "How hard can it be?" :hDe:

Thanks...

Hi Brian, dont believe Clarkson he is living proof that hot air rises.
This is my ongoing build a simple little Thames Launch with a scalled down Duval oscillator
sterling60BB005.jpg

sterling60BB015.jpg

Steam launches are my thing as theres so much you can build into them but what ever you decide on best of luck
kind regards
frazer

That is a beautiful build you have going on there Frazer. I'll definitely have to do a launch someday. I am thinking sooner than later. what size boat would be appropriate for Rudy Kouhoupt's little twin cylinder marine engine? That is an engine I plan to build soon. It would look good in a launch :)

Hi Brian,sorry I dont know what size that engine is but heres a couple of pics of my scale build of Bat quite a famous boat she was the very first to be radio controlled
007.jpg

006_1.jpg

The model is 42inches and has a 3/8bore 3/4 stroke double acting twin engine
cheers
frazer

I really like paddle wheelers. Preferably side wheeler but stern wheel is fine too

Wow Frazer, that is a beautiful model. The details are amazing. :bow:

One of my pipe dreams is a walking beam sidewheel engine and a watertube boiler stuffed into an aluminum canoe... maybe someday

Hello Frazer
I came across this website in searching for pictures of the Bat. I saw such a model by Townsend displayed by Vallejo Maritime, an art dealer in southern California. You have a great build there. I would love to see some more pictures. I found a fellow who laser cuts frames for the Bat; he is out of Sarasota Florida. It looks like a good place to start. I am a fairly experienced modeler who has about seven live steamers under my belt. Can you tell us a bit more about the plant and how you have set it up?
Dave
A very new member, like 10 minutes ago!!

remember the laws of scaling . keep er on the small side IMHO. make er twice as big and it will take 8 times the material and time. but work in a scale you are comfortable with. Too small can be a pain also.
Tin

This project started out many years ago to be an RC sternwheeler but the detailing got the best of me and with all the rigging it got to be too delicate to operate. It's about 34 inches long and is modeled from pictures of the real vessel. I had to do a lot of searching for pictures and information as there doesn't seem to be much saved history on sternwheelers. I ended up making an overall dimensioned drawing for it.
gbritnell
DSC00019.jpg

DSC00008.jpg

DSC00007.jpg

Hi I have a model of a SL BAT yours looks absolutely great Does she steam well on the lake. I live in South Africa and am in the process of starting a 1/2 scale BAT.

Latest posts

Back