Start of my 3rd engine on the 4th

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BrianS said:
I like your ingot mold, I would have never thought to use angle iron like that. Very clever. I'm learning so much here!
Oh and your base casting looks great. I look forward to more updates. Is your flywheel just a 2 1/2 lb weight from a weight lifting stack?

I saw someone else using this type of ingot mold on the net some place. You're right it works great.

Yes, I like the shape and that it had 2 1/2 cast into the side of it!

Thanks for the comment about the base, I also am learning something each time I pour.

Alphawolf: That is good job casting , talented pattern maker ...and I share your preference for the cast appearance..But I wanted to mention that I like the look of the as cast surface better after I run over it with a wire cup wheel in my angle grinder.

Thanks. I'm trying to make improvements and learn something with each attempt. I am not to level of the castings you did for your vertical marine engine, wonderful work :bow:, but I aspire to get to that level.

Managed to get a little more done on my 2 1/2 engine. Con rod, counter weight, and piston. Put a quarter in the photo to show the scale.

IMG_0606.jpg

IMG_0608.jpg

That's a big beastie Al!

I am liking your styling too, it doesn't look like there is too much to do until you have a runner?
Or is there a whole lot of complex stuff left that I haven't noticed? :D

Ralph.

Thanks Ralph.

I like 'um big so I can see it work and so I can see what I'm doing when I'm making the thing!

Since I'm making this up as I go, I'm not sure myself what is left to do and how complex it's going to end up. ::)

I may be daft but what valve mechanism are you going to use to turn the air supply on/off? i.e. slide valve arrangement?

Mike

Hello all,

I bet you figured I gave up on this project. Well, I did for over a year! A couple of weeks ago, after getting tired of looking at it on my bench in it's suspended state, I made myself get on with it.

After a few issues, I got running and I am satisfied with how it runs. Now I'm sorry for being such a procrastinator.

Here are some photo's of the remaining parts:

IMG_0926.jpg

IMG_0929.jpg

IMG_0932.jpg

Here it is running:

Thanks for your patience!

Nice build Al.
When they'll run that slow I'm impressed! Thm:

Rick

Nice engine Al :) - And like Rick said, impressive when running slowly!
Regards, Arnold

Thats sounds great, a very relaxing rhythm you've got there.

I recognize that foundry from a video I stumbled across yesterday, that was cool too!!

Totally neat !! Love the sound of it :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Al,

Very nice and runs well especially at low revs. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

I saw it only this night... very nice running engine, compliments!!!
and great work with the furnace too :bow:

Al,

Thanks for showing the casting equipment. I've done some sand casting once years ago at the school where my dad used to work, it took a while but was pleased with the result and sense of achievement. Much simpler components than yours though. I still have the castings but have never tried machining them.

How do you heat your ingot mould and what sort of aluminium do you use?

Nick

NickG said:
How do you heat your ingot mould and what sort of aluminium do you use?

Nick

Heat the ingot mold? I don't, I just pour the molten metal in. It pops right out when I flip the mold over! My aluminum stock is old cast hydraulic pump housing I have scavenged from work.

Thanks for your comments.

Sorry mate, don't know what I was on about there! :-[??? :eek: ::)

It's good being able to recycle stuff like that.

Latest posts

Back